Chapter 9 - Will now.

Will.

I know something is up as soon as I come out of school. Tai, Lewis and Jordon aren’t stood with the girls as usual – in fact I can’t see the girls anywhere.

“Hey,” I say. “Where are the girls?”
Jordon frowns at me. “I thought you hated them?”
I nod. “I know. It’s just weird that they’re not here.”
I look around for Alyssa. She is usually walking past at this time. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Tai’s cousin Myra appears, slightly breathless.

“Hey,” she says to Tai. “Come on. We have to go.”

Tai frowns. “OK. See you guys later.”
“Hey, Myra,” I laugh.

She scowls at me. “Get lost.”

“Oooh,” Lewis smirks.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I tell them, slightly pissed about Myra. Every time I say hi to her, she’s hostile and irritated. I start to walk towards the bus stop, saying hi to a few guys from the football team and then swiftly moving on as a few girls gather round.

I want to see really where Alyssa is.

Then I see them.

Avril and co are racing towards me, a long way away, laughing and everything.

What the hell is going on? They better not be after me.

I look at passers by who are also looking. I see another girl running then, her long hair flying out behind her. She’s nearer to me.

Alyssa.

I run over to her, watching as she looks over her shoulder.

They’re after her.

“Alyssa!” I pant.

She bangs into me, her shoulder colliding with my chest. The books she was holding and from her bag fly everywhere. It doesn’t hurt that much, but she exclaims, “Oh my God! I’m so sorry!”

She looks like she’s going to cry.

A few people laugh.

“It’s OK, I’m sorry,” I say, dropping to my knees and retrieving her books. She quickly tries to stuff everything in her bag.

“What’s wrong?” I ask her, holding out her books.

“It doesn’t matter,” she says hurriedly, taking the books from me.

I look at Avril and the others, now slowing down.

I grab Alyssa’s hand as she tries to get away. “What happened?” I ask quietly.

Loads of people are staring.

She tries to pull away from me. “Please – I’ll tell you later, I have to go . . .” she is staring at all the other people, her face turning red.

I turn around to face all the people staring. “Look somewhere else! This is none of your business!”

That makes them all turn around and start talking again, exchanging weird looks.

I look back at Alyssa, who is trying to pull her hand out of my grasp.

“What did they do?” I ask her quietly.

“Nothing, please let me go!” she protests.

I look at her. Why is she lying to me? They’re obviously chasing after her.

“Hey, Will.”

I turn around and glare at Avril, the speaker. I don’t let go of Alyssa, who is hiding behind me.