Chapter 26 - Alyssa here.

Alyssa here.

We lie underneath the covers of my bed, the light from my phone making his face glow. His arms are wrapped around me, as I trace the pattern on his shirt, silence hanging between us.

Neither of us has spoken for the past fifteen minutes, we’re both helplessly trying to hold onto each other, be with each other, feel each other, because time’s running out.

Every time Will opens his mouth, he’s always apologising, insulting himself, saying things that aren’t true. So neither of us are speaking anymore.

I don’t know what to do anymore.

Of course we were going to get into trouble. How could we have not? But the roof incident was just a trigger of all these events that are going to make our lives even more difficult.

I’ll start with Will. Will’s dad has grounded him. Will has got detention everyday for the next month. Will is on the verge of getting excluded from school. And Will is probably going to be moving.

And me? I’ve only got detention next Monday and my parents haven’t been informed, even though I was told to tell them. Yeah, right. Like I am going to do that.

I sigh and look back up at Will’s face. He’s watching me, his eyes dark, yet reflecting the light from my phone. He’s stroking my hair, caressing my cheek. I tangle my arms around his neck, my chin on his shoulder, and he presses me against him, our chests pressing against each other.

“Please don’t let all this be a dream. What’s happened with you, I mean,” I hear him murmur in my ear, his lips brushing against my earlobe.

“Dreams aren’t this good,” I breathe, running my fingers through his hair slowly. “And this isn’t the end. You can change everything. I’m not letting you go,” I whisper firmly, as the light on my phone goes out.

I push the cover back, and cool air surrounds us, as I stare over at my balcony door, the moonlight shining through the curtain.

“I know.” He strokes my hair softly, and I take my arms from around his neck to look back at his face. I close my eyes, listening to our breathing, sensing his face near mine. His nose brushes against mine, as he rests his forehead next to mine.

I open my eyes, and he kisses me softly, his lips soft and warm, and gentle. I shiver and kiss him back lightly. I can feel heat radiating off his chest, from his arms, covering me. I realise there’s nothing between us but the thin material of his shirt and mine. Absent-mindedly, I slide my hand underneath his shirt, feeling the smooth skin over his abs.

He pulls me closer, our bodies crushing together, and kisses my hair, his hand wandering underneath my top and then resting against the small of my back, his fingers stroking the skin as he whispers, “I love you,” to my hair, in my ear, against my neck, against my lips, again and again.

I feel colour rush to my cheeks, as tingles run down my spine, making me shiver. “I love you more,” I breathe, caressing his chest.

I hear him chuckle softly in my ear, his hand still on the bare skin of my back under my top. “I’m pretty sure I love you more.”

I grin sheepishly, as he brushes a strand of hair off my forehead. “I love you most,” I murmur, locking my leg around his.

He sighs happily and rolls onto his back so I am lying on top of him, our toes touching, my head against his chest. “You wanna bet?” he whispers softly, stroking my nape.

I shiver and smile. “I’ll win.”

“Let’s just call it equal,” he says, hugging me tightly. I slide up so my cheek is against his neck, and inhale his scent.