Chapter 1: The New Year

"PEEEEEP"

The sound of the whistle ended the practice match between Seirin High and Mikageta High. "Good game!" the players shouted as the game ended. 132 – 145, Seirin winning.

"Man, that was one hell of a game," the captain of Mikageta High said, shaking Hyuuga's, the captain of Serin High.

"Yeah, thank you for coming over."

"No, thank you for having us. Anyone can see how you guys had beaten the Generation of Miracles," he said, as the team packed up their bags to get ready to leave.

"You played a good game," Hyuuga answered.

"Arigato," the captain said.

"We will be heading back now, hope we get to play with you soon! And next time, we'll beat you!" one of the players said.

"Good, and we'll look forward to playing with you again," Izuki said.

As soon as the other team had left, all the first years fell down, crashing onto the floor, a wave of exhaustion washing over them. "How do the senpais do it? That was the fifth practice match this week, and they are still able to continue training," Katatsu, one of the first years said.

The third years laughed as they watch the first years lay on the floor, groaning about everything. It's been a year since the Winter Cup, and everything was going well. Ever since the Winter Cup, basketball teams from various schools have been requesting for practice matches against them.

The new first years were also beyond their expectations. They played in many matches against usually mediocre schools, and had emerged victorious, although against powerhouses, they were no match against them. Even so, Riko was really happy with the new recruits.

"Well, we started off just like all of you. You'll all get the hang of it soon. Just hang in there," Izuki said, grinning.

"Izuki," Hyuuga sighed. "DIE!"

"Kuroko, Kagami! It's late, time to pack up!" Riko yelled.

"Alright, but just a few more minutes!" Kagami answered, as he shot one more hoop. Kuroko nodded as he did another phantom shot.

"And they're still going on, after a practice match," Iwazaki, another first year said in awe.

"Baka! We have another practice match tomorrow!" Riko yelled, hitting the two with her paper fan. "Practicing this hard after the Spring Tournament after everything isn't going to help you if you hurt yourself!"

The Spring Tournament, the tournament after the Winter Cup that year had ended, with Seirin finishing in 3rd place. They were beaten by once again Touou Academy in the Semi-finals. The team was definitely furious by it. They've been working on getting better before the Inter-High.

"Those two," Riko sighed once she had made sure that the two had started keeping everything, along with the first years.

Hyuuga looked at Riko. She was looking rather pale, and seemed rather tired, with dark circles around her eyes. And today, he noticed that she wasn't as loud as usual.

"Of course she would be tired, after all, she's been taking on the role of the manager and coach, organising the practice games, scouting on the teams, and then creating training regimes, who wouldn't be tired?" he said to himself as he started picking up the basketballs.

"What, worried about her?" Izuki suddenly appeared next to him, smirking. Crap, he heard it, Hyuuga thought.

"Shut up!" he hissed back in return, hoping no one would hear him. Unfortunately, Koganei was there too.