Chapter Two

"Do you play piano?" Tom asked sometime over the summer.
I nodded. "Yeah. Since I was six."
"Would you play for me?"
"Sure. You like Beethoven?"
He shrugged. "I wouldn't know."
"You will by the end of the summer." I smiled, sitting down at the piano.
"That was beautiful." He said when I finished.
"Thank you." I smiled.
"Could you play another?"
"Sure." I rifled through my sheet music. "Oh, this is Chopin. This one's kind of simple, but it's beautiful." I said.
"Cut that racket out!" My mother yelled up the stairs.
So, naturally, I played louder.
"Rebellious." Tom smirked.
"Don't forget we're going to the Malfoy's for dinner." My jerk father called up the stairs.
"They don't like me." I told Tom.
"Why not?"
"Because I don't care about blood status."
"Who cares what they think?"
"Not me."
We went to the Malfoy's for dinner, and little Lucius loved Tom. He was hanging all over him, and it was adorable. Tom didn't like kids too much, but he let it happen.
"Hello, Walburga." I told my cousin, trying to be nice.
"Hello, Angelica." She said with a false smile. She's a bitch and hates me just as much as everyone else.
"What's up, cuz?" Al slung his arm around me. "Hey, Tom. What're you doing here?"
"He's staying with us over the summer." I told him.
"You kids behave, you hear?" Al told us.
"As you wish." Tom and I said simultaneously, exchanging smiles.
"So, Tom." Mr. Malfoy said over dinner. "What's your view on blood status?"
"I believe in pureblood supremacy."
"What about muggles? And mudbloods?" My uncle asked.
"Please don't use that term." I asked. Everyone looked at me--glared, rather--, but I ignored it.
"I believe in their complete annihilation or subjugation." Tom answered.
I looked at him, disgusted. He gave me a wink, so I assumed he was just saying it to make a good impression. It still made me angry, though.
There were mumbles of agreement across the table.
I didn't speak throughout the rest of the meal. How could I be related to these monsters?
When we got home, I cornered Tom. "What the hell was that?" I demanded.
"What?"
"'Complete annihilation or subjugation'?"I demanded. "What the actual hell, Tom? Are you kidding me?"
"I didn't mean to upset you."
"You know how I feel! What the hell? Do you honestly believe that?"
"I wouldn't do anything to upset you. I'm sorry."
He looked genuinely sorry, but I was too angry to care. "How could you think that? How could you?"
"I told you you should be scared of me."
"Scared?" I half yelled. "I'm not scared! I'm pissed."
"I told them what they wanted to hear."
"Well, don't! You're Slytherin for a reason, Tom. You don't comply to everyone else."
"I'm sorry." He said again.
"Whatever. I'm going to bed."
"Goodnight." He tried, but I closed the door.
I felt bad, but I didn't want to go back in there. I honestly didn't believe he would ever do something like that.
After much self-debate, I went back to the room he was staying in. He stood up from the chair he was sitting in when I walked in. "I'm sorry, Angelica--"
"I'm sorry." I said. I hugged him, but it felt weird. Could he possibly be that evil?
"I was wrong." He said.
I let him go. His hug had disgusted me. "Yes, you were. But I could have handled it better."
He kissed me, and I felt like I needed to wash out my mouth. "It's all right. I'll try not to hurt you again."
"Thank you." I said softly.

A few days later, things were back to normal. I could look at him and touch him without revulsion.
"Wanna go for a walk?" I asked over my parents' yelling.
"Sure."
We left. I slipped my hand into his as we walked.
"What do you think Azkaban's like?" He asked.
I looked at him, unsure. "Like... the prison?" I asked stupidly.
"Yeah."
"Horrid, I assume." I said. "It must be, what with the Dementors. Merlin, can you imagine?" I shuddered.
"I can imagine." He said.
That should have worried me. Nobody in their right mind could do that.
"I feel a very strong affection for you." He said after a moment of silence.
"I love you too." I smiled.
Mrs. McGonagall and her daughter were walking towards us. "Hey, Minerva." I waved at the little girl.
She let go of her mother's hand and ran to me, throwing her arms around my waist. "Hi!" She grinned up at me.
"Hey. What's up?" I hugged her back, letting Tom's hand go,
"Mummy and I are taking a walk." She said. "Look at the flower I picked her!" She gestured for her mother to hurry up.
Mrs. McGonagall came over with a smile.
"Lookie, she put in in her hair." Minnie said proudly.
"I see! Very pretty."
"Where are you going?" She asked me, slipping her hand into mine.
"Just walking."
"Can I come with you?" She begged.
"Ask Mummy."
"Can I go with her, Mummy?" Minnie asked her mum.
Mrs. McGonagall gave Tom a sly wary look. "I don't know, dear. You don't want to intrude."
"Will I protrude?" Minnie asked me.
I smiled. "No, sweetie."
Mrs. McGonagall gave me a questioning look, and I nodded. "We'll bring her home when we go back."
"Okay." She consented. "Be careful. Hold her hand."
"Yes, Mummy."
Minnie gestured me to bend down to her. "Who's the cute boy?" She whispered loudly in my ear.
"This is Tom. Tom, this is Minerva." I said, straightening up.
"Hello, Tom." She said sweetly.
"Hello." He gave an awkward smile.
Minnie slipped her hand into mine as we started walking. "When do you get to go back to Hogwarts?" She asked.
"In a week." I said.
"You're so lucky. I can't wait to go."
"It's fun." I agreed.
"Children are exhausting." Tom said when we returned home.
"She barely spoke to you."
"So? She took your attention." He winked.
"Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?" I laughed, rolling my eyes.