Chapter Nine

"What happened?" Dumbledore asked without preamble.
"Voldemort killed my puppy." I said.
"You have a puppy?"
"Well, Padfoot."
"He isn't a puppy."
"Not anymore. Voldemort used the Killing Curse on him. He came to my house."
"And you're okay?"
"No I'm not okay. He came to my house and killed my puppy. Sirius was there. He could have killed him."
"Is Sirius okay?"
"Yes."
"He didn't try to hurt you?"
"He killed my puppy!"
"Tell me about it."
I recounted the evening.
"I have an idea. I've been considering it for quite some time..."
"Yes?" I prompted, unreasonably irritated.
"I've been thinking of creating... an order, per say, to oppose Voldemort."
"How do you know who to trust?"
"Those whom we know. The Prewetts, the Weasleys, the Potters, the Bones, and the Longbottoms. Alastor Moody. Those sort of people."
"How can you be sure? I trusted Tom, once upon a time."
"I'm fairly certain, but you can never be sure. We must all take risks. Are you willing to accept?"
"Do you want me to? I was Voldemort's girlfriend."
"But you aren't now. I'm sure I know where your loyalties lie. Do you accept the charge, Angelica?"
"Yes sir."
"Very good. I shall begin recruitments."
"How am I supposed to tell Sirius?" I put my head in my hands. "How do I explain that a mass murderer killed his dog?"
"You're an intelligent young lady, I'm sure you'll find a way."
"Thank you, Professor. I'm sorry."
"It's all right. Why don't you stay here the rest of the summer? I'd much prefer you did."
I didn't. I wanted to go home. But Sirius was staying with me, and I wasn't bringing him back there. I didn't have time to get a new place.
"Okay." I said. "Thank you."
I went to Minerva's office to see Sirius eating biscuits with her. "Go talk to Dumbledore." I told her.
She gave me another hug. "Are you okay?" She asked.
"We'll talk later." I said, and she left. I sat down beside Sirius. "Hey, kiddo."
"Hey, Aunt Angie."
"You all right?"
"Yes ma'am. Are you?"
"Yeah... um..."
"You don't have to tell me anything yet, if you're not ready."
I almost started crying again, but, thankfully I didn't. "I'm proud of you, Sirius."
He looked away. "Thank you, Aunt Angie."
"That man--"
"That was a man?"
I would have laughed, but it wasn't funny in this context. "He was. He's never really been much of one, though. But he was..."
"You-Know-Who?" He asked, looking at me again.
"Voldemort, yes."
"I thought you're not supposed to say his name."
"People don't say his name because they're scared of him."
"You're not?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"He won't hurt me. Well, he says he won't. But I don't care."
"You don't care if he hurts you?"
"Not really--"
"I care, Aunt Angie." He said. For the first time tonight, he looked like he was about to cry.
"No, no. That's not what I meant." I said quickly.
First thing not to do with a child: Let him meet Lord Voldemort.
Second thing not to do with a child: Let Lord Voldemort murder the pet.
Third thing not to do with a child: Fully speak to them like they're adults.
"Okay." He said. "Why did he not kill us?"
"Well, once upon a time I dated him."
"Why?" He looked appalled.
"In all honesty, I can't even remember if I had a reason other than not wanting to be alone."
"Why were you alone?"
"I didn't really fit in with my family or my House, but he was nice to me."
"Don't feel bad, I don't either."
"You've got Remus, James and Peter."
He nodded and gave a smile. "Yeah."
"Dumbledore wants me to stay here for the rest of the summer."
"Does that mean I have to go home?"
"You can stay here, if you want to. But I completely get it if you want to go home."
He shook his head. "No. I'd prefer to be with you. You're nice."
I smiled. "Well, thank you. Do you want to see if Remus, James and Peter want to come stay too?"
He gave me a wary look. "Am I allowed to do that?"
"I'm sure it'll be okay."
"Wicked." He grinned.
"Yeah." I smiled a bit.
"You should try a biscuit. They're good." Sirius said.
I smiled and took one. "Don't mind if I do."
They were really good.
"Why are you sad, Aunt Angie?"
"I'm not, sweetheart." I only a little lied. I wasn't sad, per say. I was pissed and scared, and maybe a little sad, but not that much.
"Okay."
"Do you want to sleep with me tonight so you don't have to sleep up there alone?"
"May I?"
"'Course."
Sirius laid in my bed, asleep. When the owl knocked at my window, he sat up.
"It's all right." I said gently, going to open the window.
Angelica,
I just want to talk to you. I apologize for your dog. Please just meet me and hear me out.
Love,
Tom
"Love"? He's still on that? Had I not just screamed that I hated him?
I grabbed a quill and scribbled on the back of his letter.
Voldemort,
I hope you're happy with your power.
I will not meet you. I don't ever want to see you again. Please stop trying to contact me. You may not have seen my Slytherin before, but I'm not afraid to show it if you ever come within the city limits of my nephew.
Annihilate and subjugate your Muggles with your little motley crew, but I'm gone.
"Why are you angry?" Sirius asked.
"Nothing, sweetheart. Go back to bed."
"Aunt Angie?"
"Yes sir?"
"Why did you make me run?"
"Because I didn't want you to get hurt."
"But... I didn't want you to get hurt either."