9

Emeli Sande // Hurts

Competition will still go on until Xmas now. Mild swearing. Enjoy!

Back at Hogwarts, Charlotte quickly adjusted back into N.E.W.T student life. She knew she had to do well.

In the meantime, she could slowly see Fred and George's work release quality. In fact, they were only doing well in Charms and Potions. This was due to all the inventing- they were going crazy with it! Charlotte, Ella and Lee were all being used a guinea pigs, when available. 

"Surely this is abuse," Juliet said disapprovingly one night, when Charlotte came back to the common room with a black eye. 
"What, this?" Charlotte said, pointing to her eye. "Didn't even hurt." 
"They're using you as test subjects." 
"They use themselves as test subjects. Don't worry, they wouldn't try to make anything harmful. Health and Safety would shut them down." Juliet gave her a look. 
"Come on, Ju. I'd have put my foot down otherwise. You know it." 
"I know. Have you seen Rick?" Juliet asked. Charlotte collapsed on the sofa. 
"No. He hasn't said a word to me since I got back." 
"I heard he went over to your parents for Christmas. He's ignoring me in lessons, though. Do you think he's okay?" 
"Ask him yourself; here he comes now." In fact, they both waved at their friend, who ignored them both, probably partly due to the fact he was with- "Verena Pearce". Verena was yet another Slytherin, although in the year below them. As far as Charlotte could remember, she wasn't very nice. "It looks like they're dating," Juliet whispered sadly. In that moment, the past six years came onto Charlotte as she realised something. "You like him!" Charlotte whisper shouted. 
"Who?" Juliet replied, trying to look confused. 
"Rick! Oh, Merlin, how could I not realise this?" It all made sense. Why Charlotte thought Juliet was such a flirt, all the other men, the little blush she'd get every time he was around. 
"Well- Okay, yes, I like him. Big deal." 
"Big deal. You've liked him for years and you never said a word about it." 
"I knew you'd react like this." 
"Of course I would!" Juliet whacked Charlotte lightly on the arm, causing the other girl to laugh. 
"I still wonder why he's ignoring us, though."

The next morning, Charlotte decided that enough was enough. At breakfast, she sat down next to Rick, who was sitting alone. Juliet wasn't with her.
"Good morning. Lovely weather, isn't it?" she said, picking up a piece of toast. 
"Why are you sitting with me?" Rick asked rudely. 
"Because I'm your friend." 
"No, you're not," Rick said, leaving her. Charlotte sat there, blown away and frozen until Juliet joined her. She took the seat Rick had been previously sat on. "Lovely morning, isn't it? And you're allergic to wheat," Juliet said, tutting and taking the toast away from her. 
"Apparently, I'm not Rick's friend anymore," Charlotte said bluntly. 
"What!" Juliet screeched. She then gave the elder Nott child death stares. "Hold on." Juliet got up again. Charlotte didn't know where she went, for she'd put her head down in an attempt to not cry. She could not believe this. And after everything the three of them went through. 

People changed, she guessed. 

Next to her, she felt Juliet sit down again and pat her on the back. "According to this oldest brother, he's just being a dick. As per usual." Juliet sighed. "Well, look. At least you know he was being fake. Yes, you had some good memories together, but you didn't need someone like him in your life, who'd fuck you over. He'll be crawling back to you, don't you worry.