37

comments! votes! please!

It had been a busy few months, ever since Draco had turned up. Charlotte peeked out the kitchen window hole to look at Fred, who was talking with Draco. 

"Miss Malfoy," McGonagall greeted, pointing to a chair. "Sit down." 
"Thank you, professor," Charlotte said, as the teacher also handed her a coffee. 
"No problem. So, I heard you joined WCIS?" 
"Yeah, yeah, it's a wonderful job," Charlotte nodded, smiling. "I've got my own team." 
"It's lovely you're doing well." 
"Thank you, professor. Um, anyway, as I'm sure you know, I've become Draco's guardian," Charlotte started. 
"Yes, yes. Of course." 
"Well, for his safety right now, I'd like to pull him out of school." There was a moment of silence. 
"I understand, Miss Malfoy. Are you going to continue to educate him at home?" 
"As much as Fred and I can, Professor," Charlotte promised. 
"If you ever need any help..." McGonagall offered, spreading out her hands. Charlotte smiled. 
"Thank you, Professor." 
"I shall get Mr Malfoy for you now," the professor announced. Charlotte nodded and waited patiently as the professor left. Charlotte looked around the office as she quietly waited. Charlotte had always wondered what it would be like to be a teacher, and she'd even thought about it before she became a WCIS agent. 

A few moment later, McGonagall was back with Draco. 
"Charlotte!" Draco exclaimed immediately. "What's up?" 
"You're coming home, Draco. Fred and I will homeschool you," Charlotte briefly explained. 
"Why?" 

A few days after she'd brung him back, there'd been an attack in the Slytherin seventh year dorms. Charlotte hadn't slept that night. 

Right now, Fred and Draco were watching some muggle tv together. Charlotte was sure the name of the show was 'Law and Order', and she was sure they were watching it because the detectives reminded them of her. 

"It's my birthday!" Rian exclaimed, holding his hands up as he walked into the bullpen. Only Amina looked up to wish him a happy birthday. 
"Here's a present," Charlotte offered. "A kidnapping case." 
"Just what I wanted, boss," Rian smiled. 

Charlotte couldn't imagine what it would feel like to have your child taken. But, here she was at this crime scene, and she had to try to understand. 
"CCTV," she pointed out to Rick, who nodded and immediately went to try and find footage from it. Then, she walked to the victim's parents. 
"Do either of you have anyone who'd want to hurt you?" Rian was asking. The mum shook her head, but the dad spoke. 
"Yes. I work in the Department of Registry. And I'm a muggleborn," he explained. 
"So... we're thinking snatchers? Death Eaters?" The mum started to wail. Charlotte watched Rian bite the inside of his cheek, a habit he did when he was uncomfortable. It was probably hard to hear it as a possibility, but it was more likely than anything else. Charlotte looked over at Amina, who was coming there way. 
"The witnesses said that the kidnappers definitely weren't Death Eaters, because they weren't wearing a mask. One of them's going to go to HQ to, er, talk to an artist because she definitely remembered his face. There were three, another one told me." 
"So, more likely snatchers. Mrs Hullam, what do you work as?" 
"I'm a receptionist at St Mungo's. What's that got to do with anything?" 
"Did Alice have any access at all? Or know anything about it?" 
"She had a family pass, but she never carries it with her." 
"Thanks, Mrs Hullam."

Turns out the child was going to be sold as part of a human trafficking programme. They'd reached Alice Hullam just in time, and shut down the entire operation. 

The next day, it was little Emma's first birthday, and Charlotte had spent the entire day shaken. 

"I can't believe she's one year old already. I'm feeling old," Charlotte said to Ella. Her friend laughed. 
"Tell me about it. And now we've got number two on the way, too," Ella added. 
"I feel so behind," Charlotte told her. 
"Don't! Your career's going so well! If you do get pregnant, you'll have to take a lot of time off," Ella warned. At Charlotte's tilted head, she said, "I'm training to become a midwife with St. Mungo's. Part-time." 
"Ella! My goodness! That's amazing!" Charlotte exclaimed, sitting up. "Congrats." 
"Thanks. It was just getting boring being at home, and I know that before I know it, these two'll be off to Hogwarts!" Ella's tone was slowly turning baby-ish as Emma made her way over to her mummy. They played with the child for a while, and then it was time for Charlotte, Fred and Draco to go. 

Fred and Draco were getting on better than Charlotte had hoped for. They were practically brothers (no way either could be parents to Draco; the age gap just wasn't right). They were getting on so well that Fred had taken Draco on into an apprenticeship into the business side of the joke shop, and Draco was enjoying it so much. 
"If we ever set up a branch elsewhere, I already know who's going to be the manager." 

Thinking of that made her smile. Fred had whispered this to Charlotte on their wedding day, when everyone had sat down to eat and Draco was trying to sell Mr Weasley some sort of muggle card thing. 

"Look at that," Fred pointed out, nodding towards his dad and Draco. "He was born for this." Charlotte smiled. 
"He was always very good a persuading. He's great at finding a-"
"Unique selling point. Tell me about it!" Fred exclaimed, pressing a kiss on Charlotte's cheek. "I love you," he told her randomly. He was wearing a simple black suit, but it looked
great on him.
"I love you, too," Charlotte replied, resting her head on his shoulder. 

And for now, everything was alright. 

If only she knew.