Chapter 2

Chapter 2

(Male Model, Stephen Ritts as my idea of David)

Jaxon

Pride caused my chest to puff out just a little more as I watched my girls being escorted out the private entrance of the house and into the waiting cars by that will take them and their security detail to school. I stood there and watched until the tail lights of their little envoy disappeared down the long winding drive leading to the first of the three security gates taking them out towards Pennsylvania Ave. From there they'll merge onto Dupont Circle and make their way towards Sidwell Friends School, the 'Harvard of Washington D.C.'s private schools.' Many of Washington D. C. elite's children have or had attended the prestigious institution.

Taking a moment for myself, I looked up at the clear blue skies over the White House and I sent a Heather a silent greeting and asked her to watch over our daughters as they go about their day. When I finished and turned back into the house of course, David was standing guard as always patiently waiting off to the side giving me the illusion of the privacy I've long since resigned to giving up by taking the seat of the highest public office there is.

"Alright David, you have my undivided attention." I stated as I turned around and made my way back across the elegantly appointed foyer and into the first family's private sitting room.

I watched the agent's broad shoulders draw up slightly and tension radiated off his body. I quietly seated myself on the loveseat and waited for him to tell me whatever it is that is making him so nervous.

"Jax, I wanted to tell you that it's time for me to step down and let someone younger and faster take over as head of your daily detail. One of those high level newbies with their criminology degrees and off the chart military background to jog alongside your limo and perform all the physical things required of the job that these old bones are no longer able to do." David stated gently shaking his head as he relaxed his usually strict posture and took a seat next to me on the small sofa.

There were no words I could utter at the moment as I let my friend's words and the meaning them sink into my suddenly befuddled brain. I've known David for close to twenty years. He has been with me since the start of my political career. He was there when I was Governor of my home state in Florida. He was there on my campaign trail to become president, and more importantly, he was at my side when I lost Heather and my grief wouldn't even allow me to get out of bed. I'm not ashamed to admit that the man had to remind me that I needed to be strong, if not to honor Heather's memory, then for my children who grieved over the loss of their mother as well.

Wherever you saw me in and out of the public eye, you saw David posted close by like a dark, dangerous Sentinel.. He's never once called in sick. He has always been loyal and I have total faith in him. He has never been far away from my side, my shadow had to touching his shoes at all times whenever we're out in public. David has always made me his first priority. He took his job seriously. I trusted him implicitly because I know for a fact that he would happily step in front of a bullet and give his very life for me or my children. Flabbergasted, I took the time to really study my friends facial features.

David wasn't a classically handsome man, his face was little to sharp around the edges, but other than that, David's character and physical power made him a stunning specimen of a man. There wasn't an ounce of fat on his six-foot-three-inch frame. When first meeting the Special Agent it's clear to see that he's fit, tall, and intimidating until you get to know him, then you'll realize that he's just a big protective teddy bear. One that could kill you many different ways with his bare hands, but a teddy bear all the same.

It occurred to me that I've long since been over having the mother of all crushes on David, but damn if the man still isn't as hot as the day I'd met him, and then mortification quickly replaced my shock over David's decision to retire. It had me shaking like a leaf on a windy day, In the back of my mind, I've always known that I have a thing when it came to men of authority. Especially those military type bad asses in law enforcement. Hmm...and fuck, a man in uniform, yes indeed. The type of men like my friend David here have always pushed that hidden buttons in me. That secret place that would have me opening my legs wider the Shopping Mall's entrance on Black Friday. I shouldn't be ashamed of these thoughts and feelings, but I was petrified of them all the same, the frigging closet case that I am.