Chapter 9

Chapter 9

(The gorgeous model Maartje Verhoef as my idea of who Elizabeth look like)

Mason

It was a clear, brisk morning and I found myself giving into Jaxon's whim of going jogging this morning instead of our usual workout in the gym with Colin, or the sparring matches in the ring. I decided that the run would do us all a world of good, and at least I can run off some of the tension strumming through my veins. It's been a few days since I had a made Jaxon aware of exactly how I felt about him. I'd left him alone and I've been nothing but professional with him each and every time our paths of crossed since then.

The man was a consummate politician, ever since he'd dropped his mask back into place, I've no idea of what was running through his head. I've caught him staring a time or two, but those pretty gray eyes have given nothing away about what the man's feelings. The only emotion I've witnessed coming from the president was his irritation towards Chenille each and every time she's mentioned the State Fundraising Dinner for Cancer Awareness, a cause that is close to Jaxon's heart for the obvious reason that the disease had unexpectedly taken his wife away from him and his beautiful girls.

Just the other morning I had to bite my tongue instead of losing my cool and just shooting the pushy bitch for constantly trying to shove her cousin or the other relation on Jaxon. She seemed a little desperate trying to get him to have the woman hanging off his arm and his every word at this event. How crass was she to suggest that he should bring a date to an event that honors his late wife's memory? David had been right to tell me to keep an eye on the woman. She was pushing her case a little too hard and she was making it more than obvious that she had some sort of an agenda going on.

Nothing made me happier when the situation had come to a head yesterday evening and the president had outright shut her down, and he reprimanded her in front of his entire staff when she'd brought the subject up yet again. Jaxon had basically told her that his dating life, and who he brought into his bed was none of her, the press, and the American people's business. He'd continued on by saying that his private life is indeed private and if he was so inclined to find a special someone then he was man enough to do it himself, and he didn't need anyone to do it for him. He'd lashed out at her and those in the room by telling us that while he is fully aware what his duties and responsibilities were to the people of the United States and the country itself, being their leader didn't give them the right to decide what was best for him when it came to his sex life.

He reminded everyone that he's worked hard to provide the people of this country the freedom to make their own choices in their own lives without interference from the government, and he'd like for everyone to fucking reciprocate the sentiment. With that being said he outright told Chenille that he didn't want to hear another word about her cousin and that she'd be fired if she ever dared to intrude on his privacy ever again. Jaxon had then casually gotten to his feet, straightened his jacket, and left a shocked audience behind him. If I hadn't had to scramble to catch up to him, I would have snapped my fingers in her face and ask her if she needed a glass of water to swallow all that salt.

I'd trailed behind his stiff form until he's reached his room, and he'd sort of turned halfway facing me telling me that he was going to call it a night and to make sure I checked on the girls before they departed to spend the weekend at David's house with his daughter Jessica. I agreed and I was little disappointed that he'd so casually dismissed me, but I made sure that he was settled into his room for the evening before going off to check on Elizabeth and Catherine.

By the time I arrived in their area of suites, I'd checked in with their security detail to make sure the men were prepared for a weekend of teenage girls and their antics. Poor bastards, they must be used to all that giggling by now. Everything and everyone was in place and on the same page. I had no worries about the girls safety. They were going to spend the weekend like multiple others they've spent at the former Special Agent's house. They would be safe and cared for no matter what with David hovering over them. The man was one of the best, a legend in the Secret Service. I'd pity any idiot out of his or her mind who would even attempt to try something foolish on his watch.