Chapter 7

Chapter 7

(Sexilicious Agent Carter)

Mason

"Well, it's about that time for me to get going. Do me a favor, yeah." Agent Knox pegged me in place with serious glare. I gave the man my full attention and he continued to speak. "Just look out for him, and take care of him. There's no one else for him other than his girls. He takes too much upon himself. See that he doesn't burn out or let this office lead away from himself. I'm counting on you to be his buffer, his link to keeping himself sane. I know it's not part of your job description, but that's the role you need to play. Make no mistake, if these old bones could give him another four years, then I would happily do so." The man warned me.

Looking the seasoned agent straight in the eye, I just gave one dip of my head to let him know that I fully understood what he's said. When my oldest brother, Greg had first contacted me about applying for this position, I was kind of shocked. I now know that Agent Knox and Greg were close friends. They went through boot camp together. They'd actually served time in the same unit together until the man decided to switch careers. Greg had told me that Agent Knox had seen my name and my credentials on the graduating roster from my training at JJRTC, and he reached out to my brother to see if I was interested in taking the position as lead detail to none other than POTUS himself.

I mean, who wouldn't jump at this opportunity. Fresh out of the rigors of training and into a prime detail assignment, and the prestige of safeguarding the most important person in the United States. It's an honor for me to even be considered over the more seasoned agents with years of experience under their belt. It wasn't until I'd set foot in the White House when I'd figured that something more was at play other than me taking over for the renowned agent and best friend of the President.

Spending years in the Special Forces taught each and every Green Beret to be more observant to people, time, and place than the average person. We had to learn how to read people and all kinds of situations in order to make informed decisions at any given moment. When I'd first arrived and witnessed the closeness between the senior agent and the President, I was almost floored. I'd thought for a fact that the two were a clandestine item. A pair of gay lovers right here in the White House under America's very nose. How fucking awesome would that have been. Then upon studying the situation, I realized that the two men shared a bond of true friendship and affection forged over time, and one built on a extremely emotional level.

If I was going to be honest, they shared a bond stronger than those of close relatives, such as a brothers or sisters. I guess if you've been responsible for the welfare of someone for over twenty years. You've shared marriages, the births of children, campaigning for the highest office in the country, and sadly the death of a spouse. You will never look at your protectee as just a mark, or a job ever again. I fully understood where the agent is coming from with his dire warnings about taking care of his best friend. But I also felt that he chose me for this position for reason, and it was on the tip of my tongue to be frank with the man and just ask what his ulterior motives were, but I refrained, maybe I was just being paranoid.

My mind wandered back to that fateful day in the gym when the man himself had walked into the workout area and the agents had parted for him like the Red Sea. Christ, you can't be human and not know what the President of the United States looked like, even if you lived under a rock in the remote regions of the desert somewhere. But when I first laid eyes on the man live and in living color, it had taken all that I had to focus on the hand to hand combat sparring match I'd been involved in with Agent Knox. The seasoned agent almost knocked me on my ass since the President captured and held my entire focus.