Chapter 5

"So.. you're going out with him?" Kayla asked me on Monday morning, looking across at me from her locker on the other side of the hallway almost intimidatingly while I changed my books. Marie had turned to look at me as she stood beside me and closed her locker slowly as I spoke. "Yeah.." I said and smiled the tiniest bit. "Did you kiss him?" Marie asked and a huge smile crept up on my face, I couldn't even look any of them in the eyes! "I knew it! I knew you just couldn't resist!" she laughed and I laughed with her. "Damn.." I said shaking my head and smiling. "What do his lips taste like?" Kayla asked and I had to think about that. "I don't know if it was my lip balm.. but like cherries.." I said and they both laughed and giggled. "I ain't never been this happy.. this is a crazy feeling" "That's love for you.. makes you do and feel crazy things.." Marie simply told me and it must have been. But love? Let's not take it too far. I just got past the crush stage with Diggy...

I saw him just then. The girls came over to my locker to look at the texts we'd been sending each other all weekend and he passed me. The girls didn't know he was approaching us and they only turned to look where I was looking when they realized they didn't have my full attention. He was walking with his boys by his side and he walked in the middle. He looked at me as they all walked through the school and he winked and bit his lip at me and I was freaking out inside but I just smiled a really happy smile to him. "You see that?!" Kayla exclaimed as soon as he was out of earshot. "I done saw that.. he really likes you.." Marie added. "I smiled at both their claims and then continued to catch up with them on school and the lessons I'd missed. Midway through conversation, I saw Jason. I couldn't ignore him and his bad boy charm that did turn me on ever so much... He saw me and didn't blink twice but tried to walk past. "Hold up, I'll see you guys in a minute.." I said and walked away quickly from my conversation with the girls who went to class.

"Hold up.." I called to him and he walked to his locker which was on the same side of the corridor as Kayla's but further down the hall. He opened it and tried to ignore me but I slammed it shut with the back of my broken hand. "Don't play me like that.." "If you remember, you played me.." "Now that was unintentional" I tried to explain but he wasn't  having any of it and reopened his locker and swapped his books. "Diggy kissed me when he heard you were there.. kind of marking his territory" "Was it his tho?" he turned and looked at me. Damn, his brown eyes were melting me and his facial hair was a bonus. "Well... now it is..." I said, my heart full of guilt and his face dropped even more.

"So you're dating him?" he asked and I nodded. "This is crazy.." he breathed out and held his hand on his head. I held his face and turned it so he was facing me. "No, it's not.. I've had a crush on him for ages" "And who noticed you for the real you first?!" he took my hand from his face. "None of you! You both saw I changed and took a chance... look, I'm sorry about Wednesday, seriously..." I said to him and touched his arm. "I didn't mean for that. You don't care about me anyway. You ain't even know what happened to me.." I told him. "What happened?" I got hit by a car... well, Diggy's car and I ended up in hospital.." I said. "So he hurts you, hits you with his car and you're dating him?" "He took care of me all week..." "I bet he did..." he remarked in a sarcastic tone.

"That's it. I'm done being nice to you.." I said and before I could walk away, he pulled me back. "Y/N, please.. sorry.." he said. "I really liked you and... maybe we should just be friends" he suggested. I beckoned for a hug and hugged him and then the bell went for class. "But when you realise who treated you right, I'm right here..." he whispered to me and pinched my ass as I kissed him on his cheek and I just smirked it off and smiled my way to class, clutching my books. I hurried to English happier with myself. Amendments were made.

"Guys.. big fight right outside... oh my God, come now.. the sophomores are saying it's big!" Kaylas loved school fights. We hurried from the cafeteria and got outside where a group of students were all gathered in a circle. I looked through a space from the back ad I saw Jason listening to some guy talking.. he looked like Di.. what the hell?! I heard so many curses, cusses and insults being thrown around before a punch landed on one of them. I got to the front and Diggy had punched Jason in his face and Jason held his face in shock. "Dig?! What the hell is this?!" "Babe don't worry, I got this..." he said, breathing fast and he turned to Jason and punched him again. Jason retaliated and punched Diggy hard and Diggy punched back with just as much force, I had to cover my eyes...

Soon enough it got too brutal and there were cuts, bruises and some blood on their fists and faces and people were egging them on to keep fighting. I hated it, it went on for ages, anger, resentement, bitterness.. I wanted it to stop. Eventually, it got so rowdy, loud and violent that Dig's friends held him back and Jason's friends held him. "Don't you ever go near my girl again!" Diggy shouted at him. "How you gon guarantee that huh?" Jason shouted back. "Shut the fuck up! Both of you!" Marie screamed at them and I was standing there and on the brink of tears. The principal came out on the grounds and stood between them both. "My office. Now" he instructed firmly. "Everyone, to your lessons..." he told everyone else and they all dispersed.

"I'm not going to involve your parents.. but anything out of any of you two and you'll be expelled. Now get out of my office and get to the medical room.." The principal said to them. I waited outside his office for them and the door opened and I stood up. Jason walked out first and looked at me with no emotion but the tiniest smile and walked past me. I didn't reciprocate. Diggy almost ignored me completely but growled angrily and walked past and ahead of me, not wanting to slow down for me or even talk to me. We went to the medical room. Jason went in first and was cleaned up in around ten minutes. Diggy really damaged his face, he was bleeding on his cheeks and lip and the bandages just about stopped it. Diggy walked in and left me out there. I decided to stay out and give him room to breathe before heading in. 

I saw him holding ice wrapped in a towel to his face and he looked miserable and angry. "Here.." I offered to take it and hold it for him and he ducked away at first. "Dig.." I said in a sad but serious tone. I didn't want him to be like this. He let his guard down and let me take it from him. I lifted it off his cheek and replaced it on the swolled bruise he had and he hissed a little in pain. "Shh.." I hushed him gently and patted it on his bruises on his brown skin. "It's alright.." I said gently and he didn't say anything for a while. 

"What were you doing with him?" he asked me eventually, breaking the tension-filled silence. "Well I wasn't doing much..." I said bluntly and almost by accident. "What?" "I was making peace.. I didn't want any grudges" I told him. "Well, you coulda kept your distance at first.. you were getting too close to him and I saw the whole thing.." he explained and I felt so guilty for probably no reason and brished it off. It was nothing anyway. "It was nothing" I said.. "You know what, that's enough" he commanded to me and pulled the ice from my hands and put it on the table. "Excuse me? Since when do you talk to me like that?" "Since I figured you need to find out who you want and who you don't want.." he said and stood up from the chair.

I pulled him back and looked in his eyes. "You're not serious" "Do I look like I've been playing games?" he said gesturing at his face and pulled away from me and I stared at him. "Diggy don't do this..." I pleaded with him. "You started it, now you can finish it.." he concluded. "I'm done thinking I did something wrong all the time and you can't even say who you want". He left me standing there inthe medical room on my own. I was thinking. Thinking... I shouldn't be doing that, dammit this should be an easy decision...