We are one Family

We are on Family

Things quieted down severely after Christmas. Most of the Longbottom relatives left between the 26th and 27th. It also became bitterly cold, so they were mostly stuck indoors. Harry spent the next few days playing chess with Neville, reading the etiquette book from Aggie, and learning how to dance.

"Dance?" Harry had asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Neville had nodded. "The New Year's Ball is a ball after all. I've had lessons since I could walk."

"Besides," Neville continued, "Don't you want to be able to dance with Maya?"

"Maya?" Luna asked.

"Yeah, she's a very good friend of mine." Harry explained with a blush evident on his face.

"Oh." Luna said with a smirk.

"Is she staying with us as well?"

"Yes in a few days."

"I'm getting a new friend!" Luna said excitedly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry had groaned but willingly went along with the lessons. They only had a few days, but at least he got to a point where he wasn't crushing Luna's toes every third step.

Once they had a break Harry realized he hadn't asked Neville how he met Luna.

"So... um... Luna how did you meet Neville?" Harry asked.

"Oh, well his Gran is a very good supporter of my father's magazine the Quibbler. I guess we kinda met through all those meetings." Luna explained while removing her dance shoes.

"Neville's nice isn't he." Harry said.

"He was my first friend." Luna said with a whisper.

Harry placed a hand on Luna's shoulder. "Well... how does it feel to have two." Harry asked.

"Amazing." She said with a bright smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do you want me to go with you?" Harry asked.

Neville looked at him in shock. "Thanks, Harry, but no. I'll be fine."

Neville and Aggie were preparing to travel to St. Mungo's for their regular trip to visit Neville's parents. Neville had been quiet since they sat down to breakfast. Breakfast that he'd barely eaten.

Luna slid up and wrapped Neville in a hug, "Give your mum and dad a hug from me."

"I will," Nev nodded.

Luna stepped back and took Harry's hand. "We'll be here when you get back."

Aggie walked up straightening her hideous vulture hat. "We won't be home until midafternoon. Cook will fix whatever you want for lunch." She pointed at them, "Within reason." She kissed them both on the forehead. "Come along Neville."

They spent the day quietly. Harry dozed off in the library window seat with a book on his lap. Luna woke him up to eat a light lunch. The cook fussed over them not wanting more than soup and sandwiches, only appeased when they devoured a decadent chocolate dessert.

Neville and Aggie returned home soon. Neville went immediately up to his room and shut the door. Luna and Harry gave him an hour alone, then went in.

Neville was sitting on his bed, looking at his parents photograph, rubbing a candy wrapper between his fingers.

"They don't even recognize me," Neville sighed. "It's so hard to go. But it would be worse if I didn't go."

Luna climbed up to sit next to him, she wrapped her arm around him and laid her head on his shoulder.