Sealing The Bond

Sealing The Bond

It was brutally cold.

Harry became aware of movement. Gentle rocking.

Firm arms held him against a strong chest. A heart beat steady under his ear.

He inhaled deeply. Spice. Herbs. "Sev," he managed to whisper.

"I've got you," Snape's smooth tones filled his hearing. "Hold on we're almost there."

Harry's eyes fluttered open. He lay across Snape's lap in the bow of the boat, face against the man's chest. His clothes were dry, his hair only slightly damp, but he was so very… "C…C…co-ld .. d.. d.. d" he managed to stutter out.

"I know," Snape pulled him closer, tucking a dry blanket around him more firmly. "We'll get you inside soon."

Harry turned his head. Narcissa sat in the middle of the boat with Hermione on her lap, also wrapped in a blanket. So still. Narcissa met his worried gaze with a smile, "She's fine. We'll be inside in just a moment."

Lucius was at the stern of the boat, guiding it through the water among a multitude of boats carrying the other Governors and Ministry Officials. Draco sat at his side. He swore angrily as three other boats pulled ahead of theirs to dock at the boathouse. He yanked the rudder and steered toward the shoreline. The bottom of the boat scraped sand.

Severus shifted Harry to sit on the bench and leapt over the side, cursing as he landed in knee deep water. "Blast that's cold!"

Lucius left the boat on the opposite side, "You're just *now* noticing that?"

"Adrenalin," Sev replied. "but no." Together they pulled the boat, now sitting higher in the water, up onto the bank. Snape reached for Harry, helping him stand, then swinging him to dry land. Lucius caught hold of him when Harry's knees buckled.

"I'll take him Malfoy," Hagrid stomped over. Harry would have protested but a wave of dizziness swept over him and he slumped. Hagrid gently lifted Harry in his thick, long arms and clasped him against his heavy moleskin coat. Lucius tucked the blanket tighter around Harry. They were almost at the entrance, when Harry roused again. He lifted his head from Hagrid's arm and blinked slowly. Their rapid pace added to the bitter wind that cut through him like a goblin-made sword. "Almost there, Harry. Almost there," Hagrid said as Harry shivered.

"Maya?" Harry groaned. "Where's my Hermione?"

"Right behind us, Harry," Seamus replied. He and Dean walked along side of Hagrid. "Professor Snape has her."

Hagrid shifted to look back, allowing Harry to see past the man's bulk. Snape was walking quickly toward them with Hermione cradled in his arms. All three Malfoys were on his heels. The Diggorys walked with Cedric between them, wrapped in several blankets. The tall champion was also shuddering with cold. Gabe Rosier walked with his wife and the Delacour family. He was carrying little Gabrielle while the two women brought Fleur. Both girls obviously suffering from the cold. Only Viktor Krum appeared unaffected by the chill.

Hagrid turned back around and walked into the Castle. Poppy Pomfrey strode by at a rapid clip, "Bring them to the hospital wing!"

Hermione started awake and lurched in Snape's arms. "Easy, easy," Severus soothed. "You're fine. I've got you." Narcissa moved forward to help calm her. They moved directly to the hospital wing where Pomfrey, McGonagall, and Sprout were readying beds with warmed blankets.

"Severus do you have more warming potions?" Amos asked.

"Yes," Snape nodded, "But it's too soon for them to have any more," he said.