Summer at the Longbottoms

Harry awoke slowly. He was warm and safe and oh so comfortable. He opened his eyes and blinked at the room in the Leaky Cauldron. He was in the bed of the room rented to Maya. They hadn't even pretended last night. They simply dressed for bed and he'd slid in next to her. A night free of nightmares, just restful sleep.

But now he was alone. Well except for Crookshanks who dozed in the window. And Hedwig, asleep on top of the dresser. "Maya?" he called. Then he saw the note laying on the nightstand next to his glasses.

Harry, I've got a few more things to pick up. I'll be back in time for breakfast. Neville will be here by noon.

Maya.

Harry smiled and stretched, then he rose to begin his day.

Maya returned just as he finished packing up. "Good morning!"

"Good morning, you were up early."

She bit her lip, "I'd completely forgotten to get your birthday gift."

"Oh you didn't have to," Harry shook his head, then saw the box. "Cool, I'd forgotten that!" He took the Broomstick Service Kit. "Thanks Maya!"

"And this," Hermione was smiling as she handed over a book, 'So You're Flying on a Firebolt!'

"A Firebolt?" Harry asked.

"Yeah it's the greatest broom model today." Maya explained sitting next to him.

"I thought mine was?" Harry asked.

"It was... but dont forget Harry a broomstick is just broomstick."

Harry grabbed her into a hug, swinging her around in a circle. "I love your mind!"

Maya laughed aloud.

Then Harry stopped. They were staring deeply into each other's eyes. Then Harry dipped his head slightly. Maya started to stretch up.

They both froze.

Maya placed both of her index fingers on his lips. "We can't. Not yet."

He closed his eyes. "I know."

She went up onto her tiptoes and kissed her fingers where they lay against his mouth. "I love you."

"I love you too."

They parted a few steps. Taking deep breaths.

"So breakfast?" Harry asked.

Over their meal, Harry thought of something, "I need to get you something for your birthday before we go."

"You bought me a cat, remember," Maya replied. "That was my gift this year."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Augusta Longbottom walked through Diagon Alley with the presence of one who expected people to move out of her way. Neville strode along behind her. Her beloved grandson had gone through an extreme growth spurt and was now as tall as she was. His face was longer. He was growing so fast.

Then he shouted, "Harry, Maya!" and the little boy was back. He was laughing as he darted around his Gran to meet his friends. She watched as he grabbed up Maya into a firm hug. As Harry embraced the two of them. At the laughter. Excited speech.

And she was proud.

"Lady Augusta," Harry greeted, assuming correctly that he should address her more formally in public. "I want to thank you for the invitation to join you this summer. But I'm concerned that Dumbledore won't allow it."

Aggie smiled, "He probably wouldn't; if he had any say in the matter. You see Harry, the Governors of Hogwarts have pushed through their recommendation to have any Muggleborn student be assigned a Magical Guardian. Once the list was compiled, including all students already in school, I suggested that your name should be added. Though not Muggleborn, you were Muggle raised. Unfortunately I waited until the summer holiday had begun and Dumbledore was off to wherever it is he goes in summer. He usually remains incommunicado for the duration. Three separate owls were sent by the Ministry to advise him of your change in status. All three returned their letters. So the notices were filed as 'Unable to be Served'. And there was no one to object to my appointment as your Magical Guardian."