You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

March blew in with a warm breeze, beginning the snow melt and turning the grounds into a muddy mess. Sirius broke into the Slytherin dorm room with a knife, slashing Ron's bed curtains. Earlier, when Sirius made it through the castle but not the tower, the students were evacuated to the Great Hall while the professors searched. With the logic that escaped rationality, after Sirius was able to breech the portrait into the dorm, the Slytherins were left in their dungeon as the school was searched again. This time Neville was honestly able to tell McGonagall that he hadn't written the passwords down. Harry had done it and given them to Crookshanks, knowing that the cat was sneaking out regularly to visit with Padfoot.

Harry caught the snitch in the match against Ravenclaw (and seeker Cho Chang). And was able to openly travel to Hogsmeade Village with his Magical Guardian's permission. He continued classes with Remus and Snape. 'Learning' to conjure a Patronus and more about his parents. Learning to fight with a sword and dagger. Learning dueling techniques. A few more late night lessons of hand to hand combat with Severus when he couldn't sleep. Snape seemed to suffer from insomnia as frequently as Harry did, though they didn't talk about it. Like the meditation classes, student attendance at the sword fight lessons reduced quickly to the ones determined to learn. By the end of April, they were actually using metal swords against dummies.

May brought end of term stress and excitement as well as the Final Quidditch match, Gryffindor v. Slytherin. Again Harry caught the snitch, winning the game and the coveted Quidditch cup. It was a bittersweet moment as it was also the last time he would play with Oliver Wood. Wood, who'd introduced him to the wonder of the game, was graduating. As was Marcus Flint, who had decided that pass his exams or not, he was not repeating seventh year again.

Throughout it all, Luna and Neville were fighting the winless fight to have Buckbeak exonerated. Spending every spare moment together, either in the Quiet Room closest to the main corridor or in the Library. They knew that in order for their plan to come together, Buckbeak would have to be sentenced to death, but it didn't stop Luna who had a passion for creature defense.

Hermione's stress level evened out, thanks to her time travel naps. And quite possibly because she'd done all of the homework once already.

Ron was still being an ass. He refused to speak to Hermione or Harry until they admitted that Crookshanks killed Scabbers(like he even did). He'd rejoined Crabbe and Goyle who'd been reluctant to have him back into their friendship, despite his previous abandonment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry sat in Professor Trelawney's class, trying to stay awake as they gazed into the smoky crystal ball. Harry was brought out of his daze by Professor Trelawney's approach. He met Hermione's gaze and smiled encouragingly. She told Trelawney that she saw the Grim in the crystal ball.

And Trelawney proceeded to tell her "You may be young in years but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave." (1)

Harry stared at her with anger. Everyone looked at him strangely. Hermione glared at Trelawney. He tried to stifle it, but it burbled out of him uncontrollably. Hermione shoved the crystal ball off its stand and stormed out of the classroom.

"Maya! Maya!" Harry ran after her.

She turned, "Harry, it's not possible for me to storm out angrily if you follow me."

"Oh, sorry, it's just I'd forgotten she'd said that," he comfortingly. "Don't be mad."

"I'm not mad Harry. But her words hurt."

Harry kissed her forehead, "Maya, you must have noticed she's as blind as a bat, with all three of her eyes. How else could she miss the passion in your heart and soul?" He stooped to pick up the crystal ball that bounced down to his feet. "Show time. Go tell Luna."