Chapter 5

Loki was true to his word. I met him the next day at the same time, escorted by my healer. He was sitting on the bench in deep thought when my healer addressed him.

“You may leave us.” He waved her away. She nodded and returned to the healing room. “Please, sit.”

I sat down, looking out the picture window as I did. It was so beautiful out there. The sun was shining, and it looked so warm. I longed to go explore those gardens out there. They looked so marvelous from here. “I wish I could go outside.” I thought aloud.

“You seem to be completely healed. It should not be long before Odin makes you an official citizen here.” Loki said, absent-minded. “Now, shall I show you why I requested your presence?”

“Yes please.” I didn’t want him searching through my memories again. I was still shaken up by what happened. I mean, I was fine. I was safe. But the fact that someone so close to you could orchestrate your death…it was something that was only supposed to happen in movies. Not in real life. I didn’t trust people right now. I didn’t want him finding the memory of my attack and having me relive it. I wasn’t ready.

Loki waved his hands and a leather bound book appeared in his hands. To say I was in awe was an understatement. Speaking of things only happening in movies…

“It took a little searching, but I’ve finally found a book on Halflings.” He grinned at me. I grinned back, it was infectious.

“Great! Have you read it yet?”

“I have not. I acquired it only last night. Father was busy, giving me just enough time to sneak into his library-“

“You stole this from him?” I cut him off. What the hell was he thinking? Did he want me thrown out of Asgard?

“Borrowed. I borrowed it from him. I will return it when we are finished with it. He has most likely forgotten he has it. If he had remembered it, he would not question you so much on your power. Now, shall we read this, or was I completely wrong in assuming you would appreciate having me stick out my neck to retrieve this for you?” Loki looked at me expectantly. He must have been kidding.

“Of course I want to know! I’ve been in the dark about myself for twenty-three years! Do you even know what that’s like?” I pulled the top of the book and opened it, almost ripping it.

“Alright, alright. Calm yourself. You do not want to break it.” He seemed annoyed. I didn’t really care. I needed to know more about what I was.

“Hm…I guess we will read the sections in order then. The first section is on parentage and history.”

***************

Sometime later…

Loki and I had been reading for hours. At some point, my healer had come to get me, only to be shooed away by Loki. I made sure to cover the title embossed on the leather of the book. I wasn’t sure if she would recognize it as a book we weren’t supposed to have.

I heard footsteps coming down the hall again, but I didn’t even register it. I was too absorbed in what I was reading. The book had eight sections: History and parentage of Halflings, Strength, Durability, Longevity, Quickness, Immunity, Sorcery, and a record of every Halfling born. Loki suspected the book was under a spell, because at some point during our reading the book grew warm at the back. As we turned to the section, a new name was automatically imprinted there. I also checked for some of the people I hung out with, the club. Lana was the only one recorded.

Guess they were liars too.

A throat cleared in front of Loki and I. We both looked up, Loki looking like he was ready to snap at the person who dared disturb our reading. It was the head healer.