Chapter 14

Two days later…

Everything was set. In an hour or so, I’d leave for Midgard. I had spent the last two days doing extra combat training with Sif and extra magic lessons with Loki, since I wasn’t sure when I’d be coming back. I planned of staying a few days, since it was the holidays.

I’d seen Heimdall, who described to me what earth was doing at the moment, and basically described to me Christmas decorations, people frantically looking for present, and snow falling. I was glad I wasn’t going to miss Christmas with my mom. I know eventually I would probably not see her much, but I wanted to make sure she wouldn’t be alone for this Christmas.

There were a few things I had to do before I left though: find my mom a gift, which I was doing now, and talk to Loki before I leave.

I wanted to give my mom something from Asgard, but I wasn’t sure what to give her. I didn’t have enough time to go to the City and buy her something. I thought of giving her one of my dresses, but I would have to have it altered a bit, since my mom was shorter and a bit bigger in the bust than I was. I wish I had thought of getting a dress made for her earlier though. I had plenty of money from my father. I could have gone into the City to have one made for her.

I was rifling through my jewelry chest, looking for something she could wear every day. The chest was pretty, dark carved wood, with little gems encrusted on the lid. I had a few necklaces I could maybe look through. I knew my mom loved necklaces. I had a few chains, gold and silver, with some assorted pendants. I pulled out a gold chain and started looking through pendants. They were mainly plain jewels, so pretty and vibrant that you didn’t need any intricate designs on them. There were some pendants, simple, delicate metals twisted into simple shapes.

I was deciding between a small emerald gem and a ruby gem when something caught my eye in the light, which was coming from my window. I saw something glimmering in the light, half buried by other pendants and such. Reaching in, I moved the chains and pendants to see the loveliest piece of jewelry I had ever seen. I pulled it out gently, marveling at it. How had I not noticed it before?

It was shaped as a flower, one I’d never seen. It was incredibly delicate, medium in size, made of crystal, the petals thin and curving. It didn’t seem to have just one colour, but a variety of shades of purple, outlined with gold. I caught and refracted the light when I turned it in my hand, admiring how it shone in the light. The chain it was on matched the pendant perfectly. The metal links were larger, and when I put it on the pendant fell between my belly button and my chest. Holding the pendant again, it didn’t feel as heavy nor as delicate as I thought. It was light, as if I wasn’t wearing anything, and it had this force that exuded from it. It was mysterious and tempting.

Which is why I left it in my jewelry box. It wasn’t something I could ever see my mother wearing, and I was also keeping it for myself. I didn’t think I’d ever find an occasion to wear it, but it was pretty to look at. Besides, my father had given it to me. He wanted me to have it.

I decided on the ruby pendant and a gold chain for my mother the wear. The ruby was the size of my thumbnail, and she could easily wear it for anything. I grabbed some silk cloth I had found in my closet and wrapped it up in that, setting it down on my vanity. I’d remember to grab it before I left.

Now, for the second and more difficult task: talking to Loki before I left. For the last two days, since the night on the balcony, Loki has been so different. That night, he was flirty, openly giving me the impression that he didn’t exactly know his feelings, but came off as maybe liking me.

But the last two days, he barely talks to me. He looks me in the eye, but they don’t hold the same friendliness as they did before. When my lessons roll around, he just starts them immediately, and leaves quickly after. No more little chit chats. He was now actively avoiding sitting next to me at dinner. It was getting to be ridiculous, and a little hurtful.