Chapter 33

Loki’s P.O.V

I watched as the healers looked her over, checking her vital signs. “We will need to do a soul search. Bring her to the forge.”

“You cannot detect what is wrong with her?” I asked, worried, my voice tight.

“No. I have not seen magic like this in a long time. You are sure you found her this way, your Highness?” It was the story I had told them. That I had been returning from Jotunheim, attempting to forge another peace, when I found her in the library like this.

“I am sure.” The head healer gave me once last grave look, before going to the soul forge. It should never have gone that far. I don’t know what happened, but I should have kept my control. I had no idea what I had done to her.

“Enough Noelle!” I remembered raging at her, trying to get her to stop questioning so much. It was safer that she didn’t know my plans. Then I completely lost my grip.

I didn’t know what had happened, but the next thing I know, she was on the ground, twitching. Not even a scream, that’s how quick it was. But I knew I had done it. I could feel the heat of magic running through me, and I knew I had done it. I had harmed her.

‘It was for the best, my King.’ The raspy voice had become my only comfort, the only thing that kept me going. ‘You are doing all of this for the good of Asgard. Few can understand what you are doing.’

I sighed, walking out to the balcony of the library. Guilt spread through me, eating away my mind, my heart. ‘I am truly sorry, my love. I did not mean to do it...It was not me.’ I tried to reach for her again, though I knew by now she would not respond. Her being had been unresponsive since the attack. I just hoped she could hear me.

‘If she does not understand, she is worthless.’ I listened to the voice again, consumed by it. ‘How can a meager Halfling understand the designs of the great, the one true King? Your friends-’ Flashes, images of the glares of pure loathing in the faces of my friends- ‘Your family-’ the sad face of Thor, when I lied to him. The joy on Laufey’s when I lied to him- ‘Your lover-Noelle, her eyes filled with confusion, fear, as she wondered where I was. The melancholy look she has worn these past two days- ‘They cannot understand. Their minds are too little. Too selfish. They will not help you, but hinder you. You must do as you plan.’

I stood, decided. I had to do what I had planned. Too much had gone into this for me to fail. I needed to ensure Jotunhiem would never be a problem again. I needed to erase that race of monsters. I would have nothing to do with them. And when it was all said and done with, I will have brought glory to Asgard. To myself. I will have proved myself a good son. None should doubt me. I shall be king, and Noelle will understand then, why I had to do a little evil for a greater good.

‘It is time. You must act now. The golden son must not return to Asgard.’ I looked out, ready to send the Destroyer, when the bright light of the Bifrost caught my eye. I commanded the Bifrost to be closed…I turned, realizing who would dare defy me. It was time.

*****************************

Unknown P.O.V

“It had begun.” The Other whispered. “The boy is going to kill his brother, and take Asgard.”

Thanos nodded. He knew. What the Other did not know, was that the boy would fail. It was in his failure that they would succeed. Once he falls, the Tessaract will be found, the prophecies have said it so. Only the boy will find the cube.

“Keep the girl restrained.” We needed him to find us.

*****************************

“It’s said.” Laufey began, as he used his finger and thumb to pry open the sleeping man’s eye. “You can still hear and see what transpires around you.” He relished in the moment, knowing this was always how it was to end between him and Odin.