Chapter 23

Almost a year later…

I was waiting outside of the council room, sitting on the steps that led to a balcony. Loki, Thor, Sif and the Warriors three had been in there for what seemed like hours. Training in the yard had finished an hour ago, and I didn’t feel like practicing creating illusions of myself anymore. A few Asgardians I recognized strolled by and nodded in my direction, a sign of respect. I smiled and lifted my hand in a wave. I had received respectful greetings like that since word got out that I was being courted by Loki. I smiled, thinking of the past year I had spent in Asgard.

I had gotten a lot better at fighting, for sure. I had earned my first rank. There were three warrior ranks in Asgard. Having the first meant you could officially fight for Asgard. The third meant you were part of the Allfather’s guard. I was proud that I had actually gotten somewhere with fighting. Sif and Thor seemed pretty happy too, saying I had earned my place along the warriors. My magic had improved as well, and I was now moving on from the basics to more advanced spells. Loki was quite proud.

And then there was Loki. It was hard to believe we got this far. He was truly scared at first, and we took it slow. There was a time when Loki would hesitate to let me in, to confide in me like partners did. It was in the last few months that he became bolder with our relationship, making it official to his parents and the court. I would never forget how proud Frigga looked, and how troubled Odin seemed. He was gracious to me when Loki insisted I have dinner with them, but I could tell he was worried. He was probably hoping this would work out better than Loki’s marriage.

I was still lost in remembrance when the doors to the council room opened and people filed out. My eyes found Loki’s immediately, and I met him halfway. He offered his arm to me and I took it. It literally was the closest we could be in public without seeming scandalous. I would have preferred hugging him, this felt way too impersonal to me. But the Allfather could see us, and I knew we had to keep this impersonal act until we were alone.

When Loki and I were alone, he was different. He held my hand, he kissed me, and he held me close. He said sweet things to me. We laughed, we danced for fun and he was charming. Loki never hesitated to make flowers appear for me, magically appearing and growing in his palm, or to charm me. He was a man in love to the true sense of the word, at least to Midgardian standards.

When we were in public, it was a little different. He still loved me, and I loved him. But he was more reserved, tough. Asgard needed him to be that way, because he was Odin’s son, brother to the futurex king. He was the Master of Magic and had responsibilities. He couldn’t be running around in love in front of them.

“This is a pleasant surprise.” He said, glancing at me. I smiled.

“I was curious to know what was keeping you and my friends.” I wasn’t invited to the council. “It’s late.”

“It was nothing, just a little unrest in Nilfheim.” Loki said, ending the conversation. I nodded. I knew he couldn’t say much to me while we were in public. He would fill me in later. We went to the feasting hall with the others. It was a normal night. We ate with our friends like usual.

I was laughing with Volstagg when Loki caught my eye. He tipped his head towards the balcony that led to the outside, the sun setting, casting an orange glow on everything in sight. I nodded, excusing myself. Our friends didn’t say anything, except for Fandral, smiling and winking, wondering where we went every night. Loki and I usually excused ourselves and went off to be alone, where we didn’t have to be so reserved.

As soon as we were out of sight, Loki dropped his arm and took my hand in his, lacing his fingers through mine. It was something I had taught him, something from my home. We walked, talking about what we did during the day, just enjoyed each other’s company. It was nice to get away and just talk.