I'll Always Love You

Maine was driving along EDSA when the song was played on the radio, THEIR song.
What a perfect timing! Ngayon pa talaga papunta ako to meet him, for the first time in 10 years. I don't know if this is a good sign or not.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
10 years ago, a week before their highschool graduation...
"Maine, bakit? Why are you breaking up with me?"
"RJ, please..."
"Your parents don't like me because I'm not Chinese?! May lahi din naman ako ah, di nga lang Chinese. Maine naman. Di mo bako ipaglalaban man lang? Don't you love me?"
They studied in a Chinese school. RJ, despite being non-Chinese, was enrolled there because it was the only school that admitted him in the middle of their freshman year. Maine Mendoza-Tan came from a traditional Chinese family, while Richard Faulkerson, Jr, or RJ, was Filipino-American.
"RJ, I love you so much. Pero I think we're still too young, natatakot ako. You know what happened to my Achi Jeanie, Papa disowned her for falling in love with Ahia Lester. You saw how she was when we visited her."
"I saw your older sister very happy and content, Maine. They may not have much, but I can see Lester trying his best to provide for their family."
"I am not as brave as Achi, RJ."
"Ano bang kinakatakot mo? Kaya naman kitang buhayin ah."
"At ano? Aasa tayo sa parents mo?"
"I will work for us, Maine. God, ano ba kasi sabi ng parents mo? Baka naman napapraning ka lang, di ka naman siguro idi disown. You know you're too precious to them."
"They want me to spend time with Harrison and get to know him."
"Harrison who? Yung Harrison SyLee na punggok na parang siling labuyo yung mukha? Bakit yun pa?"
"Eh, nagkasundo sila ng parents ni Harrison---"
"What?! Arranged marriage, Maine?! Uso pa ba ngayon yan?"
"RJ, I need to follow my parents' wishes. Si Achi, pinagkasundo rin yun kay Warren Kang---"
"Pero ayaw niya kay Warren dahil si Lester ang mahal niya, diba? At pinaglaban niya si Lester and look at them now, very contented and happy with their life. Why can't you do the same for me?"
"I can't, RJ. I'm scared---"
"You don't love me enough. I am not enough for you. I guess wala nakong magagawa to change your mind. I wish you will be happy with your decision, Maine. I guess this is goodbye." RJ left quickly, crying.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
She could never forget that day, regretted her decision to leave RJ. She'd been a coward, she was still very young then. She got scared when her father threatened to disown her, tatanggalan daw siya ng mana. She got scared because she didn't know much about life. Hell, she didn't even clean her own room as they have maids who would do that for her. But, she shouldn't have underestimated herself. After college, she accepted a job at a bank in Hong Kong and she's been living independently since then. She realized na kaya niya pala, she realized how pathetic she'd been thinking that she couldn't live without her father's money. With RJ, like her Achi Jeanie and Ahia Lester, love should have been enough. Hanggang ngayon, mahal pa rin niya si RJ. Kaya she called to meet him, magbabakasakali lang sana. Baka naman...
They decided to meet at their favorite restaurant in Binondo. RJ was already there when she arrived. RJ, the ever gentleman, stood up to help her with her seat.
"Hi, Maine! How are you? It's been what, 10 years?"
"Hey, RJ. Yup, 10 years."
"Nagulat ako nung nag message ka sakin sa Facebook. Di ka kasi uma attend sa mga batch reunions natin, naka limang reunions na kaya tayo."
"Di kasi ako makaalis sa trabaho. Saka baka andun ka rin sa reunion, di kita kayang harapin, RJ."
RJ just stared at her, there was a few minutes of awkward silence. She couldn't look at him.
"And why do you want to see me, Maine? Why now?"
"RJ, I was hoping maybe you would give me another chance. After all these years, ikaw pa rin. And I regretted my decision back then."
"Alam mo, Maine, kaya ako uma attend ng batch reunions because I was hoping you'd be there. Baka kaya mo nakong panindigan, baka pwede na tayo ulit. I waited, Maine, it took me years to get over you."
Then his phone rang, he smiled when he looked at the caller ID.
That smile used to be meant for me. I used to bring that smile on your face. Ngayon, iba na ang nagpapasaya sa'yo.
"Hello, Hun. Yes, she's here. We're almost done here, I'll see you later. I love you too." He ended the call.
"Hannah says hi."
"Hannah Wong?"
"Yes, si Hannah. I saw her again sa last batch reunion 3 years ago. Then we went on group dates. By the way, her sister married Harrison SyLee. Then eventually, we started going out. She introduced me to her parents, her father and older brother were quite stiff that time but she held my hand the whole time making sure I was okay. I understood then when you told me we were still very young and that you were scared and that you couldn't fight for me. Pero si Hannah, she loves me because I am me. And her family has been very good to me. I love her, she makes me happy. And I think I felt the need to see you kaya ako pumayag makipagkita sa'yo, before I marry Hannah in 3 days. I know now I just needed closure from you, Maine. You will always have a special place in my heart. You are my first love, my first heartbreak. I will never forget you. Siguro yung satin, love will never be enough. I have to say goodbye now, Maine. I only wish you happiness and more blessings in life."
"Goodbye, RJ. I am happy you're happy. Congratulations, to you and Hannah." RJ gave her a hug, smiled and walked away. She couldn't stop her tears as she was looking at RJ's retreating back. Then she remembered their song...
🎵🎶And I'll always love you
Deep inside this heart of mine
I do love you
And I'll always need you
And if you ever change your mind
I'll still, I will love you🎶🎵
💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞
A/N: Narinig ko lang yung song sa radio. Tapos may naalala lang ako. May pinaghuhugutan po ito. Ahihih. Thanks for reading!

❤💋 Sacha