OCFS - Annie's Song

They went to visit his sister, Riza, whose husband was a ski instructor from Alberta, Canada. This trip was also Richard's birthday and anniversay gift for Maine, his girlfriend of 5 years. He was relieved when Maine agreed to go with him, as he was planning to propose to her under the majestic Aurora Borealis.

They spent the whole morning at the ski slopes with Riza and her husband, Travis. Lunchtime came, Maine prepared the paella recipe that the Faulkerson matriarch gave her. Riza teared up when she got a taste of it, because she misses her Mom who was in the Philippines. The two pairs ended up having a Skype video call with Mrs. Faulkerson for 2 hours. Richard and Maine then decided to take an afternoon nap, woke up just before dinner. Riza prepared adobo, Travis and Richard's favorite. Then they enjoyed their cups of hot chocolate by the fireplace.

At around ten o'clock, they put on their thickest winter clothes and went out of the house. Travis hugged Riza while pointing at the night sky. Richard and Maine looked up and marveled at the dancing Nothern Lights, they were an ethereal display of colored lights shimmering across the night sky. Maine clutched at her chest in awe at the beautiful sight, tears welling up her eyes. It’s like a celestial ballet of light dancing across the night sky, with a colour palette (green, pink, violet) reminiscent of a really cool fashion show from the 1980s. That was Richard's cue for his proposal.

You fill up my senses
Like a night in a forest
Like the mountains in springtime
Like a walk in the rain
Like a storm in the desert
Like a sleepy blue ocean
You fill up my senses
Come fill me again

He held her by her shoulders so she could face him. He wiped her tears, smiled and looked at her lovingly. He then held her hand and began to speak.
"Love, happy birthday. And belated happy anniversary. Thank you for being here with me. The past 5 years has been the best in my life. You came into my life at a perfect time and I could never imagine myself being with anyone else but you. With you, I am at my happiest. And I love you with all my heart."
He got the small velvet box from his pocket. Maine's eyes widened with one hand covering her mouth, she's on the verge of crying again. He went down on one knee, looked up at her with tears in his eyes then continued to speak.
"Maine, Love, please make me the happiest man and be my wife."

Come, let me love you
Let me give my life to you
Let me drown in your laughter
Let me die in your arms
Let me lay down beside you
Let me always be with you
Come, let me love you
Come love me again

It took her about a minute to control her sobs before she kneeled and cupped his face with her trembling hands, urging him to look at her as she nodded vigorously while smiling and crying at the same time. She was rendered speechless that she only let out a whispered I love you, then she raised her hand so he could put the ring on her finger.

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
A/N: The song was inspired by and dedicated to John Denver's wife at the time, Annie Martell Denver.
This was my parents' wedding song.