OCFA - A Summer Song

Trees swayin' in the summer breeze
Showin' off their silver leaves
As we walked by

Soft kisses on a summer's day
Laughing all our cares away
Just you and I

Sweet sleepy warmth of summer nights
Gazing at the distant lights
In the starry sky

They say that all good things must end some day
Autumn leaves must fall
But don't you know that it hurts me so
To say goodbye to you
Wish you didn't have to go
No no no no

And when the rain
Beats against my window pane
I'll think of summer days again
And dream of you

Papa was a man in every sense of the word. A loving son, brother, husband, father, colleague, mentor, friend. A jolly good fellow, just a wonderful person inside and out.
I remember every Valentine's Day, Mama's birthday and their wedding anniversary, he would wake up extra early so he could go to Freedom Park to buy red roses for Mama. He used to call me "Sweet," by the way, that's his term of endearment for his princess.
He was a great family man, he would take us to family vacations when I was younger. I guess the random roadtrips have contributed to my love for the beach and the country folk songs. And his love for cars, he said Corvette is the sportscar for me.
It was just one instance that I got mad at him, when he lost all my Toni Kukoc and Charles Barkley cards to a card game of chikicha. Jusko yung iyak ko nun, kasi kras na kras ko si Kukoc at idol na idol ko si Barkley and sobra sobra yung na invest kong inipon kona baon para sa mga basketball cards na yun. But I couldn't get mad at him for long, mga 2 hours lang ako nagtampo and konting lambing lang ni Papa okay nako.
He was a backseat driver omigawd. He taught me how to drive, sinalang agad ako sa highway the first time. When he had his first mild stroke, I became the designated driver to our good 'ol family van. Nakaka stress kaya, bigla lang siya magsasalita, "Ge, overtake!" Pero in that way, natuto akong magkaroon ng lakas ng loob sa lahat ng bagay.
He was supportive of our bisyo, like he was with my crocheting. He would ask me to crochet something for his inaanaks' Christmas gifts. He even made me big crochet hooks out of drumsticks.
He was my hero, too. I think it was their company's Christmas party held at their employer's home. It had a swimming pool and we were allowed to swim. Then I saw the homeowner's daughter, who was smaller than me and I never thought was a good swimmer, swimming effortlessly at the 6ft area of the pool. Never thinking na sa malalim na part pala yun, tumalon ako at nalunod. A few seconds later, Popp came to my rescue. At nabasa yung beeper niya, di na niya natanggal yun. And the countless times that he saved me. Early last year, I was told that my right eye was totally blind because may butas ang cornea. I was so terrified and Papa was the very first person that I called. His soothing voice seemed to relax me, he told me it was going to be okay.
I will miss him very much. The late night talks, his words of wisdom. I'm going to miss my Papa.

There are so many things that I wanted to tell you, things that I should've said while you were still with us.
Thank you, Popp, for everything. For being so patient with me. For being understanding and forgiving. For being very supportive despite my life choices. For inspiring me to become a good parent. For showing me that chivalry is not dead. It is a great honor to be your daughter, I wish and pray that I made you and Mama proud. All my life you've always been my anchor and my compass, and my rock, too. In the next lifetimes, in any universe, I would still want to have you as my father.
Though it pains me a whole lot now that you're gone. But it's comforting to know that you're with Mama now. I will miss you, it will take a lot of getting used to but I will be okay. We will be okay, Popp. We love you very much. I will look forward to the day that I will be hearing you, the first man I ever loved, call me "Sweet" again. I love you.

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
A/N: A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy. My Papa's favorite song.
Freedom Park is where we buy flowers in Cebu. Parang Dangwa ganern.
Chikicha is pusoy (I think) in bisaya.
This is my tribute to my father, who passed away last January 25th.