Use Weapons of Clairvoyance

I actually quite enjoyed waking up to the company of another person. The atmosphere in the room was.. relaxed. Well, relaxed enough for a fucking looney house.

As I slowly opened my eyes, I perked myself up with one hand and lifted my legs off the side of my bed. The other hand raised to up to my left eye, rubbing the sleep away from my consciousness.

My gaze wandered over to Frank who slept peacefully, his mouth slightly parted and a limp arm slung over his pillow. That was odd. I'd never seen anyone sleep with a pillow, not under their head, but under their arm. It was quite cute.

Frank had gotten me to think. I wonder what it's like in the pretty little head of his. I wonder what it would be like if I opened my eyes and shut my god damned mouth. I've tried, but that's only taken me to the dark parts of my head. How is little frank not broken yet?

I got to my feet and made my way over to the small bathroom. There, I brushed my teeth and did my other morning activities. Once finished, I moved over to where frank slept. I did debate on whether to wake him or not. You never know how people can react to being woken up. Especially in a mental institution.

I placed my hand on Franks shoulder and shook it gently, hoping I wouldn't get socked in the eye.

"Frank? Wake up. Let's go get breakfast." I whispered.

To my surprise, frank did not sock me in the eye! Instead, he groaned and pulled his blanket over his head. Good, but typical.

"Frank come onnnn!" I wined, trying to get some reaction out of him.

"No..." Frank grumbled, his voice hoarse from sleep and lack of use. I had to hold back a gasp. Frank spoke. Was this normal? What do I do? Should I mention it? Fuck.

I shook my head, attempting to get over whatever happened. "I don't want to leave you alone though. Plus, you need to eat. We're having French toast today. Maybe I can smuggle some pudding out of the kitchen too!" I tried. I really hoped frank liked pudding as much as I did.

Frank sighed, not really moving.

I didn't want to give up though. Not yet.

"Frank can I..." I paused. Whatever I was going to say may possibly ruin the bond we've built. "Can I touch you? Am I allowed to do that?"

I sensed a pause in Frank. Fuck. Is he okay? Did I ruin everything? Oh I hope not.

Frank nodded, eventually. Internally, I let out a sigh in relief. "Okay.." I added as I gingerly placed my hands on his sides and lifted the short boy off the bed. I got a giggle in return as I slung Frank over my shoulder and sat him on the bathroom sink.

"What?" I asked with raised eyebrows. "You're ticklish?"

Frank bit back a smile as he nodded quickly and turned away, the tips of his ears turning red.

"Well alright." I laughed. I could have tickled the boy right then and there (like any normal person would) but we are in a mental institution. I wouldn't think that anyone in here could take it so kindly as to be tickled by a stranger too. Yikes.

I left Frank to go through his morning activities as I scribbled a small drawing in my notebook. It was of a man, dressed in a black marching band uniform. He stood in the rubble of what used to be a city. Possibly Chicago, or New York. I'm not sure. Shadows of the dead portrayed in the background and masked the face of the man. He was looking down at in disappointment at a woman at his feet. She wore a strapless black and red dress. A bouquet or roses lay next to her limp arm. I didn't know what it meant but Frank seemed intrigued by the mysterious picture.

He gave me a questioning look which I had assumed meant "what's that".

I shrugged in response and closed my notebook slowly to not frighten the boy. "I dunno what it is." I stated.

I really didn't. I had no clue where the odd drawing came from. Whatever.

I jumped to my feet and gently grabbed the sleeve or Franks shirt. "Come on." I said, leading the way to the cafeteria. "Breakfast is from eight to eleven. It's ten thirty. We don't want to miss it!"

Frank complied and followed me through the white corridors of Our Lady. As I opened the door to the cafeteria, our nostrils filled with the sweet scent of French toast.

I ran over to the line and grabbed two plates off the rack. I handed one to Frank then sat him down at my table. "I'll be right back." I whispered to him. "I'm gonna steal us some pudding. Are you gonna be okay on your own?"

Frank gave me a short nod.

"Okay." I spun on my heel and began to make my way over to the kitchen. I knocked on the white door and waited for an answer. The door opened to a very happy Jenny.

Jenny was an old woman, her ginger hair was neatly wrapped up into a tight bun and covered with a black hair net. Jenny's green eyes sparkled with love when she looked at me. I smiled. Jenny really reminded me of my Grandmother, Helen. She passed away a few years ago, right before I got addicted to drugs.

"Hey mama Jen!" I grinned. I absolutely loved to be babied by my favourite cook.

"Hi baby boy!" Jenny squealed in a high pitched voice as she pinched my cheek. "What can I get you Gee bear? The usual?"

I nodded and giggled, my cheeks getting warm as the blood rose to my face. "Can I get two this time?" I asked. "I have a friend now. I'd like him to have one."

Jenny raised her eyebrows in surprise. "A friend? Congratulations Gerard!"

I cringed internally. Don't get me wrong. I love Jenny, but please don't treat me like a toddler. "Thanks.."

The old woman disappeared behind the kitchen door. When she came back, she held two cups of chocolate pudding in each hand. "Fresh batch." She said, handing the cups to me. "Enjoy Gee Bear!" She smiled. I hugged the woman then made my way back over to my table.

Frank sat there, poking at his now soggy French toast. "Hey Frankie!" I smiled, placing the cups of pudding down. Frank looked up at me, surprised.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head and continued to poke at his toast. I tilted my head in concern. "How come you're not eating?" I pointed out.

Frank shrugged again.

I didn't expect an answer anyways, but I wanted him to know that I cared. I sighed and pushed the small cup of pudding towards the sad boy. "At least have some of this... I got it especially for you.."

To my content, Frank picked up a spoon and dug it into the small cup. I smiled at the boy.

It was a start.

"Thanks Frank." I added.

The boy lifted his golden hazel eyes toward me. They represented sunlight going through a glass of whiskey. Frank offered me a small smile and pointed towards my cup. He pushed it closer to me in a kind gesture that meant 'eat'.

"Oh!" I said, suddenly. "Sorry. I forgot about mine. I was..." I paused. "I was worrying about you I guess..." I whispered.

I glanced at Frank for a second, studying his reaction. The boy slowly set down his spoon and grabbed mine. He dipped the plastic utensil in my pudding and offered it to me.

What did that mean?

I stared at the spoon for approximately .5 seconds, dumbfounded. Finally, I snapped out of my trancelike state and I took the spoon gingerly. "Thanks." I added.

Frank nodded and leaned back in his seat.

Now that I think about it, I guess I do talk a lot. Frank makes me realise that. At least I have him here to make sure that I get things done.

I suppose, having a friend isn't as bad as I originally thought.