Now I'm Hearing You Loud

A/n: happy New Years!

Oh how I absolutely love my meetings with Maya~

Ya know, especially after I had a panic attack and passed out in Franks arms. Sweet kid, by the way.

So yeah, a little while after Frank had fallen asleep on me, Maya strode into my room, well aware that I was with Frank. What she wasn't expecting was the position that we were in. Frankly, (heheh) I would be surprised too, if I were her, because I actually hate everyone here. Well, now I hate everyone except Frank. Also Jenny. (Maybe Maya too but you can't tell her that.)

I smiled at the woman as she stared, bewildered. "Mornin' Maya." I said as casually as I could. Also, I didn't want to wake Frank.

"Hi Gerard.." she trailed. "Uh.. I need to have a talk with you."

See the thing I like about Maya is that she always gets right to the point, yet she can be brutally honest at times. I really hoped this wasn't one of them.

"I'll give you a few minutes." She said. "Meet me in my office."

With that, Maya strolled out of the room, her heels clicking off into the distance.

I stared down at the sleeping boy in my arms, smiling. I placed a gentile kiss on his forehead and slithered out of his grasp.

I cringed, forgetting that I had a few needles prodded in my arms. How could Maya let this happen?!

Nonono I don't wanna touch the needles.

I had to, though. Maya would kick my ass if I didn't show up in her office, oh god.

I squeezed my eyes shut, slowly peeling the needles out of my arm. I wanted to puke, seeing my blood drip from the hole left by the needle. I did manage to stay conscious through the procedure, surprisingly.

Afterwards, I half walked half stomped over to Maya's office. "Maya they left the needles in me!" I yelled, throwing open the door.

Maya sighed, leaning back into her chair and folding her hands. "I'm sorry, Gerard." She said genuinely. "It won't happen again."

Maya gestured to the chair in front of her desk, telling me to take a seat. I obeyed, sitting down on the plush seat.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked innocently.

"You know what." Maya said.

Of course I fucking knew. I'm not an idiot.. but I wanted to have fun.

Instead of answering, I shrugged and raised my eyebrows.

Maya sighed. "Okay. First things first, what happened with you and your brother."

I laughed. It wasn't an amused laugh. What I did with Mikey wasn't okay. The laugh was more.. nervous? But I couldn't tell Maya that. Oh no.. I'd never tell her.

"Well..." I started. "I don't know."

Maya leaned closer to me, her elbows pressing on the desk in front of her. "Gerard. You've been in this hospital for five years now. You know how this works. If you won't tell me something, I can't help you."

"Maybe I don't want help." I snapped.

"Do you think I want you to learn something that you'll forget within a day or a year?" She stated calmly.

I shook my head.

"Okay. Then you'd understand that what I am doing here is for your benefit. Not mine. I don't want to see you waste away your life in this god awful clinic, Gerard! I'm trying to help you." She paused, flicking her caesious eyes back and fourth in thought. "Every day you spend in here is another day you could be in the world living your life.. I want you out there." Maya said, gesturing towards the window. "I know a brilliant mind like yours can thrive in a world like ours. You're so special, Gerard. You just have to prove it to the world. Prove it to me."

"I don't know what you want me to say." I responded, tucking my hands under my thighs. I do that when I get uncomfortable.

Maya gazed into my eyes. "It's not about the right answer, Gerard. It's about what you think and feel."

I shook my head. "I don't know. I don't know! I can't help it, Maya. I try to be good- I really do. It's just- Mikey was freaking me out with the whole 'life' stuff. He kept getting in my face and-"

"That's not the whole truth. Is it?" Maya interrupted.

I swallowed, hard. "I-"

"Tell me about Frank." She continued.

Fuck.

"Maya.."

My physiatrist sighed. "I'm not trying to pressure you into a corner, Gerard but I don't want you to hold yourself back from freedom for another individual."

Hold myself back from freedom?

"Out of all the things to come out of your mouth-" I said. "That was the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

"I beg your-"

"Hold myself back from freedom? Hold myself back from freedom?! I'm in here for a reason!" I snapped. "You really think some drug addict, cyclothymic, worthless piece of shit guy is in here to help some stupid mute kid talk again?! You're out of your fucking mind!"

Maya gasped. "Gerard you should not talk about patients in that manner. Especially yourself."

"What harm will it do?! Isn't this shit kept confidential?!"

"Yes but-"

"Okay then what's the big deal?!"

"Calm yourself." Maya sighed. "If you feel this strongly about your roommate, I suppose we'll just get him transferred to another room."

My breath hitched. "Wait-"

"What?" Maya said with a raised eyebrow. "You want him to stay?"

"I.. yeah- yes. I want him to stay with me."

"Oh? How come? I thought you didn't like the- quote- "stupid mute kid"."

"Well- I-"

Shit. There she goes. Backing me into a corner again. Even if she says she doesn't.

"You what, Gerard?"

"I- we- we're making progress." I finally stated.

Maya leaned back in her chair. "How so?"

"I got him to talk.." I mumbled.

I noticed Maya had almost jumped out of her chair. She seemed to recollect herself within the few seconds of the action but.. I was still pleased with my response.

"That's three whole years of therapy, Gerard." She said, a small smile dancing in her lips. "Three years of being mute- all cured in- what? A couple hours?"

"Thirty minutes, actually." I corrected, smirking. "Or less."

"How?" Maya asked, aghast.

I re explained what had happened the first night I met Frank with the ability of wiggling my way out of trouble. You know, for a professional doctor person, Maya let's her emotions get control of her a lot of times. Something in which I can take advantage of- well- something I do take advantage of. It could also be because I've spent five years talking and cooperating with only Maya. We've grown a bond, in a way. I like it too.

If only I had remembered to close the door before our meeting. I hadn't noticed the familiar short frame standing behind the door, listening to every word that came out of my mouth. Most of those, I regret.

Especially the part where I said "stupid mute kid.", for I could've sworn I heard a choked sob coming from behind me. I didn't pay much attention to it, though. I am sort of crazy.

No Wait-