You Teenage Believers, Rallied Up Against The Fence

On a normal day, I would leave breakfast and head back to my room for the next hour or so. Then I would be pulled away for my daily one on one talk with Maya that would last an hour or so. Afterwards, I was free to do whatever I wanted.

Today was different though. The second I had shovelled the last scoop of pudding in my mouth, I was pulled away by two very tall and broad men.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked innocently, shooting a glance back at Frank who lowered his spoon slowly at the sight of me being carried away. "Am I in trouble?"

"No. you're not in trouble, kid." Answered the tall one. He had a light olive completion and dark brown hair that was slicked to the back of his head, revealing his abnormally large forehead. "You have a visitor."

My eyes widened. "A visitor?" I stopped. "Wait. Why didn't you just tell me? Why'd you have to drag me away like that? It's pretty embarrassing, you know."

The slightly shorter man chuckled. He had a short light brown fringe that hung just above his eyes. "Well, you never know how any of you guys would react to visitors.."

I glared at him. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, Maya was telling us to take special precautions because you're cyclothymic-"

"Ryan!" The taller boy elbowed his partner and cleared his throat. "Sorry Gerard.."

"It's fine. Whatever." I said after a few moments of silence. I didn't feel like arguing much anyways. I just... I didn't understand why  being hyper or occasionally depressed considered me 'crazy'. I'm not crazy. I'm not.

Ryan and the other dude (who I later found out that his name was Brendon) led me into a room that represented an interrogation room in the movies.

I sat at a long  metal table, awaiting whoever came to visit me.

The door opened and in stepped the younger way brother. Mikey.

He had gotten taller since I last saw him. I remember Mikey as a short boy with brown hair and glasses that hung right at the tip of his nose. Now, Mikey stood tall with bleached blonde hair, the sides of it shaved and brown. He wore contacts instead and improved his fashion sense, wearing a camouflage shirt with a bright red jacket on top and a pair of black jeans. I smiled and stood up, ready to hug my younger brother. It's been five years since I'd seen the fucker.

Mikey came around the table and hugged me, hard.

"Hey little bro..." I said, trying to keep my voice stable.

"Hey gee.." he answered, pulling away to inspect how I've changed. Which wasn't much by the way. "Gerard I have something to tell you." He said, his voice high and happy. I'd really missed Mikey. More so than I had originally thought.

"What?" I asked excitedly. "What happened?"

Mikey took a deep breath before meeting my eyes and smiling widely. "I'm having a baby!"

My breath hitched in my throat. How had I not noticed the silver band on Mikey's ring finger? "You're-"

I paused and smirked. "Wow Mikey! That's great!" I smiled. "How far along?"

"Well, it's been three months now! Kri-"

"Three months?!" I interrupted. "Wow baby bro! I wouldn't have guessed it but now that I think about it, you are showing a bit!"

Mikey gasped and lightly slapped my arm. "Not me dumbo. My wife, Kristin." He laughed.

I laughed too. I was so happy for him. I was until...

"You seem a lot better too! You think you're gonna be out soon?" Mikey asked, hitting me with the question I prayed he wouldn't ask.

I hesitated. I couldn't leave. I just met frank.. he's opening up to me.. I just need a few more-

"Gerard I think I can get you out today."

Nonononononono

"M-Mikey.." I tried. My voice trembling. I'm not crazy. I know I'm not crazy. Just.. Frank.

"Gerard you're about to be an uncle soon. It's a girl gee. A baby girl!"

The world started to tip sideways. I studied myself on the long metal table, trying to keep my breath under control. This was too much. Too much.

"Mikes.." I tried again. He wouldn't stop.

"There's a comic place that opened up across the street." Mikey babbled on. "Maybe you can get a job there!"

I tried to place my hand on the back of a metal chair. My weight was too much as the chair flipped back, toppling to the floor and sending me with it. I groaned, placing the palms of my hands on my temples. Make it stop. Make it stop.

"Woah! Gee are you okay?" Mikey asked, shooting a hand in my direction.

I stared at it, wide eyed. I couldn't move.

"Gerard." Mikey said again, inching his hand closer and closer to me.

"Mikey stop!" I pleaded, shoving my head into my arms. I hate when I get like this. Why couldn't I be normal?!

Mikey flinched back, studying me with wide eyes. "Gee I-"

"Get out!" I screamed, a little too harshly. I didn't mean to. I didn't. I'm sorry.

Mikey began to inch away hesitantly. "I- I-"

"Please just go." I sobbed. I just couldn't- I couldn't handle him.

Mikey sighed and stepped away, pinching the bridge of his nose as he made his way out of the room. I hope I didn't make him cry.. I didn't mean to..

I couldn't help myself.

A few seconds later, I was met by Ryan and Brendon who dragged my ugly sobbing mess of a body back into my room. They placed me on my bed and shut the door softly.

My tears wouldn't stop. I've spent five whole years in this damn institution and I wasn't getting any better. "I'm a god damn failure!" I thought to myself. Because really, I was.

Then, I felt my bed indent with the weight of another body. I didn't bother to look up. I already know who it was.

The boy stroked my shoulder softly. I could hear him shushing me in the caring kind of way. I hadn't expected him to make a noise. Not at all.

I sat up and hugged frank, the warm feeling of his arms wrapping around my shoulders made me feel a bit better. Not enough though.

"I let him down.." I sobbed into the shorter boys arms. "He's having a baby- oh god my brother is having a baby and I'm stuck in here like a worthless piece of shit!"

Frank flinched at my sudden raise of voice but continued to attempt to comfort me.

"Five whole years Frank. Five." I spat. "I'm not crazy." I sobbed. "Frankie I'm not. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy."

By then, my body began to tremble. Everything was so overwhelming; my brain wanting to shut down.

The room began to tilt again. I felt as if I was going to pass out.

"I'm not crazy Frankie.. I'm not!" I repeated over and over again.

I stood up, attempting to make my way over to the bathroom, feeling as if I were going to vomit.

My legs had failed me, though. I collapsed to the floor, unable to catch my breath as my sobs became more and more rapid.

Frank jumped off the bed and slid on the floor next to me. He held my face in his hands, trying to mimic taking deep breaths. It didn't work.

My surroundings started to become dim, the lack of oxygen really getting to me. I took one more glance at Frank, his hazel eyes rimmed red as tears began to pool out of them.

"Gerard!" He croaked. "Breathe!"

I couldn't tell if it was my imagination or not because by that time, my mind began to slip away as I was enveloped in darkness.