Chapter 46: A Darker Night

Soundtrack: Fix You - Coldplay

I felt a dancing inside my chest when I saw him. He was everything that I'd never allowed myself to dream coming true. He was a granted wish on a star and an answered prayer from the moon. He was a hope in the apocalypse.

He was the darkest thing in tuxedo in this bright sunny day and yet, he was the one with the most vivid color in my eyes. He was the only thing I wanted to believe at that moment and yet, him, being here felt surreal. It was almost impossible to believe. Maybe I was just hallucinating, dreaming of things that I was unconsciously hoping to happen.  Maybe this was what my mind wanted to show me before I died, and he wasn't really here.

But he brushed his hair with his fingers furiously and with clenched fist, he strode forward towards me. Such act was so him. The air brought his familiar masculine perfume to my nose.

And I knew, it was actually him.

"Sebastian," I whispered in the air knowing that no one would hear me. But he hurried anyway, pushing away anyone stopping him. Few men went to the helicopter and stopped the engine while loads of them came after Sebastian who just incapacitated them flawlessly; he was a magician, raising his arms gracefully against his attackers.

"Sebastian," I felt tears dampened my cheeks. The feeling that washed over me when I realized that he was real and he was here for me was unknown. It was a combination of relief and worry. I was happy and scared.

"Please, don't come near me." I whispered. He refused to listen and I watched as he continued leaving crumpled bodies on his way. "Please, don't."

Napapikit ako nang maramdaman ko ang malamig na dulo ng baril na dumikit sa aking ulo. Walang sinayang na sandali si Elle at marahas niyang hinila ang aking isang braso upang ako'y maitayo.

"Stop right there or I'll make a hole in her head." Tila ang lamig na aking naramdaman ay hindi nanggaling sa baril kung hindi sa kanya. Walang halong takot ang kanyang tinig. Walang halong pag-aalinlangan ang kanyang mga tingin.

Agad na napagtanto ni Sebastian ang ka-seryosohan ng sitwasyon. He knew at that moment that he was already facing the Novous. No matter how confident he was with his strength, he knew he needed to be cautious with them around. Having his way in enemy territory would be complicated and dangerous. Agad na bumagal ang kanyang hakbang hanggang sa tuluyan siyang huminto ilang metro mula sa aking kinaroroonan. Naisin ko mang kumawala mula sa pagkakahawak sa akin ni Elle ay hindi ko magawa. Sinalubong ko na lang ang nagbabaga niyang tingin sa likod ng kulay itim niyang salamin sa mata.

"I'm kinda in a hurry. You said if I come here, you'll give me what I need. Now, give me my reaper back," he said coolly as if he was just having a normal negotiation.

Subalit pinantayan iyon ng pagiging kumpiyansa ni Elle sa kanyang posisyon at sinabing, "I heard she's not a reaper anymore."

Tila unti-unting nabawasan ang pagiging kalmado ni Sebastian. Nawala ang ngiti sa kanyang mga labi at napalitan iyon ng pagtitimpi. "Give me my reaper back," wika niya sa pagitan ng panggagalaiti.