Chapter Three: So Close I Can Taste It

Warning: This chapter contains strong sexual content some readers may find upsetting. Read at your  own risk.

Frank and Gerard sat outside together, taking in the city and early sunset from beyond the eighteenth floor balcony they sit at. As Gerard sat in his wheelchair beside a still Frank, he smiled, knowing that this man with humble hazel eyes and probably the most gorgeous face ever will continue to care for him with grace, unlike how Marco treated him all those previous dreadful months. He knew that Frank was more than just his caregiver, though. He was his friend...and Frank knew how to keep up his professionalism.

"Hey, Frank...how long has it been?" Gerard suddenly asked the silent Frank. Time itself seemed to have been lost all these weeks or months. He knew the seasons have been transitioning from spring to summer, but he couldn't remember how long he's been blessed with Frank's reassuring presence. "How long have you been my caregiver? Two months now?"

"Yeah...time flies, huh?"

Frank wanted a cigarette so badly. Being out on the balcony was killing him, but Gerard...no, his patient liked it. He had to accommodate his patient to keep them happy and in good health and spirits. Outwardly Frank has been the perfect professional, but inside he was a mess. The cold his grandmother Rosalie picked up in early April had not gone away, and it was bothering Frank. He knew from experience that a simple cold in one that is younger is nothing, but in someone in their senior years, it can lead to many problems. On top of that, the bitch that abandoned him and his father had the nerve to contact him. She wants to talk to him about something. Frank could give two shits, but his grandmother encouraged him to set up a meeting.

"She's the only family you have now, bambino...," Rosalie said weakly, her voice hoarse from the many coughing fits she's had as she laid in her bed, looking so sick and vulnerable.

"I have you, grandma...," Frank pouted, refusing to believe that his grandma is close to death's door. He couldn't lose her. She was all she had. His mom could rot, for all he cared.

"I am old and will be gone soon. You need to mend your bridges before it is too late...,"

After that, she fell into a coughing fit and Frank knew he couldn't say no. In a week he was going to have to face a woman that he had not seen in over three years. He didn't even want to think of it. He was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't hear his patient speaking.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Frank asked, turning to a bewildered Gerard.

"Are you okay, Frank? You look like something's on your mind,"

"Oh, umm...," Frank paused. He knew he couldn't tell the truth in front of his patient. He had to maintain that damn professionalism and not let him pry into personal territory, after all. "I was thinking that maybe I could order a pizza for you tonight before I left,"

"Sure! That sounds great, but...sure you're okay?" Gerard asked, knowing in those discontented eyes of Frank's that something's wrong.

"Yeah, that's it. I'm fine....Hey, it's getting cold, we should get you inside," Frank said, knowing that changing the subject is the best thing to do right now in this awkward situation.

"You're right. I'm freezing!" Gerard shivered, now just realizing how nippy it really was outside. Maybe Frank was not looking well because he was cold. He knew he didn't wanna be a burden to his kind caregiver.

"So, let's get inside and get a sweater on you and I'll put on a movie while we wait for pizza,"

"Okay, Frankie. What movie should we put on? What do you like on your pizza?" Gerard asked, wheeling himself inside his bedroom, waiting for Frank to put a warm sweater on him.