Epilogue: So Long And Goodnight

Gerard died on the night of March 29th at around eleven pm. A couple days prior to his demise, he fell asleep, only to never wake up. He passed away peacefully with his eyes smiling. His wake took place on the morning of April 1st at a beautiful looking catholic church that was built just last year. Frank, Mikey, and Rosalie loved how good Gerard looked in his ebony black coffin with white lining. He looked so peaceful, they all claimed. The mortician did a fascinating job making Gerard look great, even in death. Now with the funeral itself taking place, Frank took the stand as he looked over at Gerard's closed casket, surrounded by colorful flowers and pictures of him, all of them holding sacred memories of him.

"Gerard Arthur Way was a great friend," he spoke into the microphone. "That's not enough though. He was a great friend, he was confident, he was a lover, he was human. Oh fuck it, Gerard Way was great period," he said, the audience in front of him giving a small laugh, and Frank saw Mikey roll his eyes affectionately.

"I knew Gerard since we were kids. All throughout my childhood and teenage years he was there. We saw every milestone together. We went through the good times and the bad times...well, I thought we did. We lost touch after he graduated high school before me and went off to college. There were five years where I didn't know anything going on in his life. I thought it was just part of growing up. You know, you move on...but I never really did. Gerard Way was my first love, and you never forget your first. I will admit that I was shocked to find out that he was now a patient of mine though. It showed me how much we both had changed. Still it wasn't long before we were back to where we left off, and even with his deteriorating condition, we still found that place of childhood memories together. Nothing made me happier to til the end. I love you, Gerard Way. Thank you for everything,"

"Thank you, Mr. Iero," the church minister said from across the room as Frank walked off the podium. "And now, we will hear from Gerard's younger surviving brother, Michael James Way,"

"Mikey," Frank corrected.

"Excuse me?" the minister turned to Frank.

"Just Mikey is fine," Mikey added.

"Oh, of course. Mikey Way,"

Frank smiled and headed down the stairs. He passed Mikey on the way and they squeezed hands. Frank went to sit next to his grandmother.

"Bella bambino, molto bella," she said.

"Grazie, nonna,"

When Mikey got up to the podium, he tapped the microphone before speaking into it, gazing over at the closed black coffin that his brother laid in peacefully. He gulped, anxious but ready to speak.

"Gerard was more than just my big brother...he was my best friend," he began. "He helped me through everything, from teaching me to ride a bike with no training wheels, to surviving high school, to me struggle with alcoholism, amongst other things. I don't think I'd be standing up here in front of all of you if it hadn't been for him. He was my hero, better than any comic book superhero...even Batman, who was always our favorite growing up," Mikey smiled a bit as the crowd laughed lightheartedly. "He was also a fighter like a superhero, his illness and obstacles along the way being the supervillain. Despite his ailment, he fought bravely. I don't think I've known anyone as brave as Gerard. He's inspired me to keep fighting, no matter how bad things get...," Mikey turned to his brother again, smiling. "I love you, big brother,"

The audience applauded, and Mikey walked off the podium and down the aisle, where he met up with Frank and Rosalie.

"That was lovely, Mikey," Rosalie said as she hugged Mikey, then gave him to Frank. Frank hugged him tightly.