Chapter Four: More Than You Bargained For

"Let's go, up!"

Frank jumped when he heard his grandmother's voice boom throughout the bedroom. He jolted out of bed, feeling his heart skip a beat.

"Grandma?"

"Come on, you have been moping in bed for weeks now,"

"I don't feel good, and...," Frank sighed, knowing that he couldn't possibly return to the Way residence to take care of Gerard; not after what happened that one day. "I can't, grandma,"

"Bullshit. You can't fool an old fool. You need to talk to me,"

Frank sighed again deeply. He wasn't getting out of this one. He climbed out of bed and followed the older woman to the kitchen. He had to tell her what happened when his mother called. He needs to tell her everything, how he lost his temper, as well as his professionalism that was vital for the job. He did just that when he got himself dressed and into the kitchen, sitting with Rosalie at the table with coffee in their hands.

"So...that's it?" Rosalie asked, who had listened carefully the whole time.

"Yeah, I need to keep my friendship and personal feelings aside when I am there, and I can't, so...I think I need to take another assignment," Frank said, feeling his heart sink at the thought of taking care of a complete stranger instead of his friend.

"I think you are being very silly, bambino. Have you tried to talk about it?"

"No, and I don't plan on it," Frank shook his head, already annoyed with his grandma's well-known stubbornness. "They will hire someone else and it will be alright,"

Rosalie looked at him and hated it. Her own grandson was a quitter and they both knew it.

"Excuse me," Frank got up to use the bathroom and hide from her glare. When he returned, she was looking at his phone against his wishes, which made him gasp a little.

"You have strange pictures on here," Rosalie said, eyeing the many photos taken on the phone in bewilderment, from selfies to photos with people she knew she'd rather not know.
"Uh...yeah, I guess," Frank replied reluctantly.

"Well, how about I make a cake and coffee, and we talk some more?"

"But grandma...," Frank knew that cake and coffee only came out when there was a guest coming over. Still, he indulged her. "Alright, let me know when it is done. I am going to shower,"

"Good idea, bambino." Rosalie kissed his cheek and then he left. Yeah, a shower would make him feel better.

_ _ _
Mikey took a breath as he rang the doorbell. He didn't know what to expect when Frank's grandmother invited him over to talk. He was already feeling chills run down his spine.

"Well hello," Rosalie smiled, opening the door for her guest. "I remember you from when my grandson was younger. Please, come in...," She stopped, falling into one of her many coughing fits that surely wouldn't be the last one for the day.

"You alright, ma'am?" Mikey furrowed his brow in concern, seeing the frail old lady that clearly has seen better days in better health.

"What's this ma'am nonsense? Rosie is just fine. I've been a bit on the sick side since last month. Frankie has been fussing about it," She shuffled in and had him take a seat in the kitchen. "Frankie is in the shower, would you like some coffee?"

"Yes, please,"

"Cream or sugar?" Rosalie asked, walking to the counter and pouring Mikey a cup.