Chapter Eight: A Seizure Dims The Lights

"What the fuck?!"

Frank woke up to a scream coming from Gerard's bedroom. He scrambled out of bed, getting caught in the sheets and nearly braining himself on the corner of the nightstand. He ran out of his room and down the hall to Gerard's, opening the door.

"Gerard! Ger--"

Gerard shook uncontrollably, his entire body a seizing mess as he thrashed and kicked in the puke-stained bed, his eyes rolled to the back of his head. The only thing escaping from his lips were utters and chokes of incomprehensible speech. It was like something straight out of a horror movie. Frank felt his heart drop into his stomach as he gasped in fear.

"Frank?" Mikey called out from the other room, dashing outta bed and down the hall. "What's going on?"

"Gerard's convulsing! He's having a seizure! Call an ambulance now!" Frank screamed, running to Gerard's aid. Mikey didn't say a word. He ran to the telephone, his hands frantic and scrambling to dial 911.

"Hold him down, Frank! Don't let him bite his tongue or his his head!" Mikey yelled from the other room as he held the phone to his ear.

"Gee! Gee!" Frank moved everything away that could harm the patient, but he was powerless. All he could do was watch in horror. Gerard continued to kick and thrash in the bed, drool running down from his shaking lips. Mikey ran into the room with the phone in his hand, tears running from his raw eyes.

"Don't touch him," Frank firmly shoved Mikey away, keeping him away from the convulsing Gerard. "Don't do anything. I know it sucks, but we can hurt him more if we do. Just keep objects away from his body," he sighed, hoping the paramedics would get here in time before it was too late.

"Gerard...," Mikey shook his head, feeling worthless that he couldn't do anything to help save his big brother that's falling apart. "I'm so sorry...,"

The door opened and the medics arrived. They asked a bunch of questions as two of them went to assist Gerard. Frank answered all he could and gave them an electronic medical card that he got for Gerard. It was the size of a credit card, but it had a USB part and contained Gerard's medical history. It was so much easier.

"When did the convulsing start?" a female EMT asked.

"I heard him cry out about ten minutes ago, and I ran in here and found him," Frank replied.

"Alright. We'll just take it from here," the medic said, assisting her partners in transferring Gerard to the gurney, his whole body still shaking and kicking violently. Frank turned to Mikey.

"You want to go with them and I'll drive?"

"Yeah...I need to be there with him," Mikey sniffled, not shedding a single tear.

"Alright. I'll pack a bag for Gerard, and then I'll meet you there," Frank patted Mikey's shoulder and then left to get dressed. Mikey took off with Gerard and the EMTs, following them to the ambulance.

_ _ _

It had been a week. Frank felt like shit. He spend all his time at the hospital. He really needed a shower, but Mikey had to work so Frank stayed with Gerard. He had not woken up yet, but he was breathing off the oxygen again with a tube down his throat. Frank sat there reading to him. He hoped he could hear him at least. Frank looked up and saw Mikey at the door.

"Hey, no changes yet. How are you?" Frank asked.

"What do you think?" Mikey sighed, looking over to his unconscious brother that's hooked up to a series of machines.

"He'll come around, don't worry. Despite his words, Gerard is a fighter,"

"I hope you're right, Frank," Mikey sat beside Frank, who put his arm around him.