Prologue

Most performers had a moment of fear before they entered their stage.

Most.

But for Will it was a just another moment of anticipation for he was a passionate man living his dream, or rather performing it.

He never believed in dramatic entrances as they only tended to muffle the acts that followed. He was welcomed by a crazy applause as he entered the spotlight. Temporarily blinded by the stage lights, he took his time to settle and had a mental rehearsal of the day's events. The routine music started and announcements were made asking the people to stay seated. The two of his accomplices took their respective positions on the stage, flanking his sides, Tarquin on his right and Olivia on his left. The show's success depended on them as much as it did on Will. Olivia began walking around the stage as she began thanking all the people who had made it to the show. Will began scanning the audience as usual. The first few rows were booked for special guests, few of whom had not come yet.

At the very first sat Mrs.Stone, a very kind lady who had rented the theatre for their show for the past five years. Will couldn't remember one show which she had missed. She occasionally came with her husband but he wasn't present today. Then his attention turned to spots where few men had problems with the seating arrangements. The officials were looking into the matter.

Will Raynor was one of the most famous and successful magicians in the country. He performed only once a week which made his shows even more special. People even drove across cities to watch his shows.

And that day they were weathering a storm. The rumbling grey clouds didn't deter the people who had gathered outside for the show.

And Will was yet to disappoint them.

Staying successful needed you to know your opponents. Will was thoroughly aware of the people who were trying to bring him down and he was grateful to them, for they only made him stronger. Even that day he knew they were dispersed amongst the crowd. He was sure that he'd send them back disappointed. Once again. Outside the theatre, a shadow moved watching the queue shorten. He had flown miles for this job and he didn't want to miss the show. The men who had hired him wouldn't be happy if he did. He removed his cap which shielded him from the rain, wore his glasses and started moving towards the entrance in his drenched, dripping overcoat hoping his setup within the coat was still functioning...