Chapter 4 - Five of Hearts

Will couldn't take it. He had never known the taste of failure. Now that he did, it was far worse than what he had imagined. It wasn't just a slip, it was raw humiliation to him.

They had laughed at him.

Not even in his wildest dreams had he envisioned something like this. He knew that the worse was yet to come.

He hadn't given the call much thought.

"I will ruin your entire life. You will lose everything you love. All I ask is a simple favour. Do as I say and I'll spare your life.", the caller had threatened. A few days back the threat seemed harmless. But today, it was starting to nag him.

He'd hoped the officials would have it sorted out.

He headed straight for the garage which was outside the building. He dug his pockets for his car keys. He got in and sat behind the wheel. He rubbed his palm across his cheeks to wipe the tears that had rolled down. He took a deep breath before revving his Ford Mustang into life. It was the Shelby GT500 Eleanor 1967 version and was his best companion since the time he had learned to drive.

He owned a huge mansion several blocks from the theatre. He had inherited it. He was brought up by their family butler, Ernest. It was through him that Will knew about his parents who he'd lost when just a kid.

Ernest had promised Will's father to look after him. Will could never have found a person like him. A great father and a caring mother moulded in one soul. He'd never married and spent his whole life for Will.

Will treated him like family and always turned to him for advice. Ernest was the only one in whom Will had confided about the phone calls. He had noticed the sharp change in Ernest's expression. He never seemed to buy Will's claim for the caller to be a prankster. He had left the room without uttering another word. For the next few days, Will didn't try to talk to him about that. He didn't want him to worry more and Will wanted to forget those calls.

Will reached home. He stopped the car and got out to open the gate. He got back in and drove the car into the compound. He didn't even bother to close the gates. He headed straight to the basement, parked the car and shut the engine down. He slammed the door shut behind him as he got out of the car. The garage was always well lit as Will wasn't very fond of the dark. It was pretty spacious and could hold about 20 - 25 cars at a time. He didn't stop to admire his automobile collection as he made his way up. The stairway led directly to the hall. The huge hall had its wall spruced up with the trophies and other laurels he had won. The entire place was dusty. He never really spent much time there. The carpeted floor muffled his footsteps as he crossed it. The fireplace was crackling which made Will wonder if Ernest had come.

"I can't make it to the show. Got some work to do", he had said.

The day's events came rushing back. Will shook his head and turned left.

The long corridor seemed endless.

On either wall were several expensive paintings that Ernest had selected personally. He was an artist himself and had a great taste when it came to art. People came to him for opinion and he even attended little meetings. Will had no idea how they could speak on art for that long. Ernest had even insisted on bringing Will along long back, but as Will grew up he knew better than to go there.

"Ernie", Will called to check if Ernest was still home.

He got no reply. He badly needed some time alone. He continued to walk along the corridor. He turned right and met the end of the hallway. In front of him stood a mirror and a small table to its side.

 He studied his reflection for a while. He couldn't face himself. All he saw was a failure. One of his biggest inspirations had been John Waters. A really famous 20th-century magician who was known for his disappearing handkerchief trick. But once, when he accidentally revealed the fact that he had no thumb and that he used a fake finger instead, he was pelted and humiliated. He was nowhere to be seen after that. Now Will feared that he would face a similiar fate.

Will still had his coat on. It was soaked from the drizzle. He ruffled his long hair which was almost dry. He gently tied his hair into a bun. He touched the right frame of the mirror and felt its sides. His finger met a tiny crenel. He positioned his index and middle finger over it. He heard a click as he pressed it. He slid the mirror door to reveal his room within.

It had been his dad's room, who'd had a thing for these kinds of layouts. He had never seen him even in photos. He didn't know his name, his job or even how he had died. He had no clue of both his parents. All Ernest had said was that they had died early and it was good for Will is he left things as they were. Will didn't want to infuriate the one man who had showed him love and affection without expecting anything in return for all these years.

He slid the door behind him. He left the keys on the table beside him and began removing his coat. He placed it over the chair and walked past the bed into the en suite. He stared at his reflection in the mirror. Random thoughts came up, "Should I perform hereafter? Can I ever call myself a magician again? Whose mistake was this? How did all this happen? How? "

He opened the tap and let the sound of water splashing clear his head. He washed the traces of tears and humiliation away. Pushing the hair locks that had escaped his bun he entered his room and pushed the balcony door open. 

A gust of cool air welcomed him. He gazed at the busy city. People were rushing through the light traffic. It was already late but the city hadn't slept yet. The drizzle had stopped and the people wanted to make it home before it began raining again.

 The clouds were rumbling overhead. After staring mindlessly for some time, he took his seat on the other end of the balcony. The area was pretty empty but for a few flower pots and the resting chair on which he was seated.

He took deep breaths trying to flush the day's events from his mind. He let the distant thunder soothe him.

Few blocks away, a man moved along with the impatient crowd who were directed out of the theatre. He was not sure whether to be glad or dejected. The job given to him was really simple. But it hadn't gone as expected. 

" I'll have to wait a little longer, I guess", he thought to himself as he pushed his way through the crowd.