Chapter 2 - King of Diamonds

Will studied the man who had come up onto the stage. Young and dark haired. He was short, bundled up in a large overcoat with huge glasses hiding his features. But Will could still make out his excitement.

"May I have a look at your ticket"

The man took the ticket from the outer pocket of his coat and handed it over. Will got the ticket and saw that it was wet. He looked up and noticed that the man's coat was soaked too. He reminded himself that it was pouring outside. The printed face of the ticket read ' C 13- Kane Cross'.

"Mr. Cross, You may remove your coat and make yourself comfortable."

"No Will, I'm comfortable in this", he said as he adjusted his coat.

Only close acquaintances called him Will. Most people preferred 'Mr.Raynor'.

So that came as a surprise. But Will pocketed the ticket and continued,

"You may choose any bullet from the table", as he waved a hand towards the table at the centre of the stage.

Kane turned and walked towards the table. He touched each bullet and felt their surface. They were much thinner and lighter than the ones he used. He studied the letters on each bullet as he put them down. He knew that he'd be using them for a very different reason usually but that day it was different. All he needed were a pen camera clipped to his pocket, a few expensive scanning devices that he held within his coat and a very alert pair of eyes. He chose the second bullet and gave it to Will.

"Ahhh...A 0.45 Schofield. Nice Choice. You may sign the bullet now", Will said as he handed him a marker.

Will saw him scribble 'K+' on the bullet and got the bullet back to show it to the audience. Tarquin had come up the stage. He displayed the revolver. It was a ' Taurus Judge 4510'.

"Now I'll give the bullet to Kane and he will help Tarquin load the revolver and then we will begin" Will divulged.

The air was thick with anticipation.

Kane got the bullet and paused before Tarquin," May I ask something?"

"Yes sir, anything"

"Am I allowed to fire the revolver?"

The crowd started murmuring. Will was speechless for a moment. But he was sure that he'd be in trouble if he gave the revolver to Kane. He had to break a lot of laws doing that.

But if he rejected Kane's request, people would think that the trick was done by Tarquin by just swapping the bullet. He couldn't do that too. Several other things were going through his mind and looked at Tarquin for help. He was clearly signalling against the idea. For the first time in years, Will didn't have a comeback.

Tarquin stepped forward," I'm very sorry, Sir. We aren't allowed to give firearms to the public. But you may load the revolver and I shall take the shot."

"But I'm licensed to handle a gun so that won't be a problem", Kane argued.

Tarquin looked at Will for some help.

"Well. You may do as you please, Mr.Cross. We will allow you to fire the revolver. It is not some local trick that we perform with orchestrated preparations. TRUE MAGIC shall never fail", Will said as he smiled crookedly.

Tarquin could not believe what he had heard. Neither could Olivia, who had just joined him on stage. Both were staring at Will. Will was just doing his best to ignore them. Tarquin knew that Will could never perform the trick with a stranger. But he couldn't see any doubt in Will's eyes. He also knew that Will needed help.

Will got the gun from Tarquin and turned towards Kane.

"You may take your position, Sir"

Kane was guided to the spot and he examined the bullet for one last time. He could see his initials. Will came near him and offered the gun. Kane got the gun and moved closer the feel the suit of Will with his palms checking for any signs of Kevlar.

"Ohhh.... I'm not wearing any protection gear, mate", Will managed. He was literally stunned by this guy. No one had ever been this serious. Will remembered the disturbing calls he'd been getting the past few weeks.He'd dismissed them as a hoax. But just as things were starting to turn wayward, he knew he had to hold himself together.

It unsettled him.

He had seen Tarquin leave a few moments ago and prayed that everything went as planned.

"Sorry Will. Just checking", Kane grinned.

For the first time in years hearing his own name sent a chill down his spine," Well...That's OK. I'm happy you're satisfied."

He left Kane all to himself to load the revolver. He could see Kane's eyes gleaming in delight as the bullet clicked itself to its place. He walked few steps to take his place across the stage. Tarquin brought him a pair of ear plugs to beat the noise of the gunfire. Will saw him nod and he breathed a sign of relief. Will displayed his hands harmlessly to Kane and showed him the ear plugs. He carefully plugged his ears.

"The loud sound may shock some of you, I advise all of you to cover your ears, please"

Kane observed Will keenly. He had been distracted for a moment but he pulled himself back together.

He tightened his grip on the gun. He raised his arm and took aim with the laser primer. A red spot appeared on Will's chest. Kane could sense his victory already. He had covered all possible holes in the trick. He was a little doubtful if the people who'd hired him would take it easy if Will died.

The people were already excited. Few of them were up on their feet. They just couldn't miss any action at all.

There was a glass pane which stood between Kane and Will. Kane fired as he got the nod from Will to go ahead. A deafening blast shattered the glass.

Glass shards flew everywhere.

Will caught his chest and fell with a thud. He could hear people gasp as he lay motionless on the floor.