Chapter 14 - King of Hearts

The Master knew what was happening. Will had started learning things about his past which wasn't a good sign for The Master. He had to act faster. He picked his phone and dialled a familiar number.

"Macabre, I need a favour", said The Master.

................................................................................................

Will walked into his room and sat on his bed. He leant against the headboard and stretched his arms a little. He folded back his sleeves and unbuttoned a couple of his shirt buttons. Running his hands through his long hair, he opened the book and placed it on his lap. The book was mostly about John Water's feelings and the pain he had to endure following the mishap. There wasn't any information about the Mirage or any enhanced people. Will lost interest within an hour. He slammed the book shut and placed it on the table. He knew that the information he sought was in there in the impending pages but he did not want to know anything. He just wanted to leave everything behind. He wanted his life to go back to how it was a week before. All those thoughts were cut short as he dozed off from the real world.

Will woke up with a start. He had had a dream but couldn't recall anything. He cursed himself as he shifted in bed to stand. He figured that the dream couldn't have been a good one as he was drenched in sweat. Standing up, he walked into the bathroom and had nice, long shower. His wound was much better now. It throbbed occasionally but was manageable. He wrapped himself in the bathrobe and stepped out as he heard a knock at his door.

"You awake?"

It was Olivia. Will told her that he'd be out in a couple of minutes. He dressed himself in black, his hair was still wet so he decided to let it free. He walked into the dining room and found Olivia waiting for him.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Happy Birthday, Will", she replied, smiling.

Will had forgotten the date. It was the fourth of April.

"Thank you", he smiled.

"It's not just that. We have to go and meet Mrs.Stone regarding the show this week. We have to tell her that we're not performing. She can give it to someone else instead.

"What? Why are we not performing?"

"Will. Please let us not argue more. You badly need a break."

To her surprise, Will remained silent. He probably agreed with her.

"Okay. Let's go", he said.

She nodded, befuddled.

"We don't have food, Will. Shall we get some on our way?"

"I'm not that hungry. We'll get something to eat. Don't worry", he assured her, getting into the car.

They stopped by the local coffee store. Will stayed in the car as Olivia stepped in to get something to eat. Will waited, fingers rapping continuously against the wheel in a uniform rhythm. He looked out and saw a few kids playing. They looked so happy, having nothing to worry about. Will wanted to get out and play with them. Be a little kid all again. He was pulled back to reality as Olivia opened the door and thrust the hot coffee container into his hands.

"Here. It's so hot. My God", she exclaimed.

"Are you sure you don't want anything else?" she asked.

"Yes, Yes. I'm sure."

She made herself comfortable and closed the door. It took Will mere seconds to empty his cup.