Equivoque

Yes, the story is complete. But I wanted to share a little something with my readers. As you've noticed before, each chapter is named after a card from the standard deck. A few of you have asked me the reason for this. The naming of the chapters isn't random. I've tried to keep the naming completely logical. Most of you're probably thinking I'm bluffing. If you're one of those people, just keep reading for I hope your opinion is about to change . Also, this chapter contains a lot of spoilers. So, if you've not read the book yet, please don't read this.

Each card has a unique value and purpose in different card games. But, I learnt that cards are not only used for games. They're obviously used for magic but, other than that they're used for 'Divination'. In that practice, each card has a distinct meaning. So, I used these specific card names whose meaning matches that of the chapter. Sounds simple right, well it wasn't. Lol xD

Chapter 1: Four of Spades is a card which means "foundation of wisdom". This one is to illustrate that the chapter is a small introduction to the story which follows.

Chapter 2: King of Diamonds is a card which means "stubborn man". Will is a particularly stubborn man. His decision to hand Kane the gun to fire is extremely audacious.

Chapter 3: Queen of Clubs is a card which means "dark-haired woman". This chapter is all about Olivia. It's the mistake that she makes in the show that leads the chapter. The first thing people notice about her is her dark, frizzy hair.

Chapter 4: Five of Hearts is a card which means "Jealous people". A lot of people who had come to the show were jealous. They wanted Will to fail and that was what happened that day.

Chapter 5: Two of Clubs is a card which means "Gossip and Disappointments". They're not fairly relatable terms but very important in the context of the chapter. People are seen to be gossiping which was clearly evident from the article in the newspaper. Will and Olivia were really disappointed with each other and ended up fighting too.

Chapter 6: Five of Spades Happy home but interference from other people". This card has a very specific relation to this chapter. Olivia and Will try their best to reconcile. But, at the end of the chapter, Kane is said to be plotting something, something evil that might harm Will.

Chapter 7: Seven of Diamonds is a card which means "problems or losses at work". Kane enters their house and goes up against Will. They are not sure about his intentions but there's no way that they'll be good.

Chapter 8: Seven of Spades is a card which means "Loss of a friend". This is the chapter where they come to know the news of the death of their friend- Tarquin.

Chapter 9: Three of Hearts is a card which means " Be cautious about what you speak". This is the chapter where Detective Emery Graves enters the picture. She's got a strikingly similar attitude to that of Will. This is why Will should be really careful of what he speaks to her. If she ends up distrusting Will, he could get into serious trouble.

Chapter 10: Ace of Diamonds is a card which means "A ring/ present". Will wistfully recalls the ring that he gifted Tarquin years ago.

Chapter 11: Jack of Clubs is a card which means "A reliable friend or dark-haired friend". This card precisely refers to Olivia. Will opens up to her. He tells her a lot of things and badly needs someone, whom he can trust in the midst of all that confusion.

Chapter 12: Six of Hearts is a card which means "Unexpected good luck/ someone helping out". The local librarian, Mr Bolton offers them vital information which is of a huge help.

Chapter 13: Five of Clubs is a card which means "New friends/ help from friends". This one's a little complicated. Firstly, the chapter refers to The Master, getting a new accomplice. It's someone whom he trusts. Secondly, Will learns the story of four friends from the past. Yeah, they're not his friends but they are all friends with each other. Well, you get the point, right?

Chapter 14: King of Hearts is a card referring to "Good, fair-haired man/ good advice". This card refers to Mr Bolton. He dies in this chapter. The name of the chapter is a small tribute.

Chapter 15: Ace of Spades is a card which means "Emotional conflict". Olivia is distraught by the death of Bolton and learning the fact that Ernest could be a possible suspect. On the other hand, Will doesn't even consider the fact that Ernest could be the murderer.

Chapter 16: Ten of Diamonds is a card which means "Fortunate changes". After a very long time, things begin going their way. They're able to successfully enter the museum where they have a chance to find something useful.

Chapter 17: Seven of Hearts is a card which means "unfaithful person/ broken promise". Will learns about Tarquin's letter. He's not able to register the idea of Tarquin leaving him to stage a new show. There's a slight possibility that Tarquin could've played a part in the mishap.

Chapter 18: Queen of Spades is a card which means "A widow". The person referred to here is Alyssa, Will's mother. This is the first time he sees his mother.

Chapter 19: Four of Diamonds is a card which means "inheritance". Will learns everything about his parents. His mother explains the powers that Will could've inherited from his parents.

Chapter 20: Four of Clubs is a card which means "betrayal". The villain had been around them the whole time. They were betrayed by people whom they trusted.

Chapter 21: Nine of clubs is a card which means "a revelation/ don't be stubborn/ achievements". This one was very tough to choose. The meaning best suited here is 'revelation'. Will gets to know a lot of things in this chapter, so I felt that the name suits a little.

Chapter 22: Three of Spades is a card which means "Unfaithful". There's not much explanation needed for this. All that fuss and turmoil came to an end. This chapter's name underlines the factors 'disloyalty' and 'mistrust' played in this story.

Chapter 23: Nine of Hearts is a card which means "wish card/ dreams come true". With all problems gone, Will wants his life to get back to normal. Simply made, this chapter has that 'Happily ever after' moment.

Equivoque: It is a method of forcing a specific object on a spectator through a seemingly randomized selection process. I selected this name because the seemingly random chapter names had a specific meaning (forced upon :P)

Happy reading folks.