Chapter 19 - Four of Diamonds

The lady struggled to stay on her feet. She stumbled over to the bed.

"Jeez. Where are your manners, Will?" she asked.

"I asked you a question. Who are you?" Will asked.

"Patience", she said.

"I've been patient enough. Tell or I'm calling the police straight away", he said.

"Don't you recognise your own mother, Will?" she asked.

..........................................................................................

Detective Emery paced within her room, fuming. Will had just walked out, disobeying her order to stay. She had asked Waldo to leave her alone, agitated, she pushed the files off her table onto the floor. That's when she saw it. The two mobile phones on the table. Will had taken them out when he was talking about Olivia. One of them had to be Will's. Now she had everything she needed to get Will under custody. Straightening up, she took both the phones. She couldn't help but laugh.

..........................................................................................

Will was shell shocked, " Mother?!"

"Yes. Your mother", she replied.

Will was shaken. He had no family left. But now, there was a woman who claimed to be his mother.

"Where is Ernest?" he asked.

"I'll explain everything, love. Just take a seat", she said.

Will did not protest. He had to know everything. He sat on the bed, beside her.

"You know about the four magicians of the 20th century, don't you? Well, your dad and I were among them. I'm Masquerade and you dad was Rook. The other two were Fade and Clairvoyance. We were very famous for our magic tricks. No other magician could replicate the tricks that we did. I am a shape shifter and your dad, Rook, was a levitator. Fade could make things disappear and Clairvoyance could predict the future" she said.

"Yeah, continue", Will said.

"Yes. Our powers weren't that strong. We had our limitations. To be more specific few of our powers were limited to non-living things. I could only transform objects. I never tried them on people. The first time I tried to transform a tiny little Thrush bird into a Blue Jay, I fainted. I lost a lot of energy. I never tried anything after that. Fade could make small things disappear easily. He needed a lot of effort to vanish bigger objects. He never tried his power on people. He had less control over his powers. Clairvoyance couldn't exactly predict the future or foresee it. She got an intuition of what may happen. She usually aided us in predicting numbers or cards picked by the audience. Rook was the only one among us who did not have any limitations. He could levitate almost anything" she said.

"Mom? What's your name?" he asked.

"Masquerade", she replied.

"No mom, your real name", he asked.

After a gentle pause, "Alyssa", she replied.

"Dad's?"

"Aiden", she replied.

Will's eyes brimmed with tears. He had never known their names. As a child, he had wished for a normal, happy life. The circumstances had denied him a proper childhood.

"Then you came along. Life was perfect but that was when the trouble began. Fade and Clairvoyance loved each other like your dad and I did. Fade was jealous that your dad had full control over his powers and had no limitations. Both of them feared that you could become one of the greatest magicians in history if your dad trained you. You'd be invincible. Fade was desperate to know the secret that gave your dad these powers. He forced Clairvoyance to use her powers to the maximum. He thought that if he could see how you father trained you in the future he could follow the same. It was that night when everything went down", she said.