Chapter 1

I walked through the halls of my elementary school, two kids' books in my arms. I had asked my teacher if I could go to the library and I was heading back to my classroom now. I was only a few doors away from my classroom when these three kids who were a grade older than me walked out of their class. These kids always picked on me whenever I saw them in the halls but normally a teacher would break it up before anything serious happened; there were no teachers in the empty halls since they were holding classes.

I gulped and turned around, hoping they wouldn't recognize me. But it was in vain as I heard one of them call, "Hey, water wussy! Get over here!" I began to hyperventilate as I feared the worst. Then, I did the only thing I thought I could do; I dropped my books and ran. I heard one of them shout, "Get 'em!" I ran and I ran through those halls, hoping someone would come and stop them. But I ended up running into a dead end. I backed up into a wall as the boys approached me. I shook with fear and watched as they slowly walked toward me.

One of them said, "Well, well, well. Lookie what we got here. Lil' water wussy tryin' ta run away, eh?" Two of the other boy came and grabbed my arms. I struggled against them, knowing what was coming. The other one walked closer to me and grabbed my face roughly, saying, "No one escapes us, wussy, ya hear?!" He let go of my face and then punched me hard in the gut, causing me to fall to my knees. The other two boy let go of me and they all began to punch and kick me. Eventually, I had went unconscious.

When I woke, I was in the nurses office, a teacher sitting next to me. I knew the teacher; his name was Mr. Wells, he was the choir teacher for the Water Sirens. He saw that I was awake and said, "Hey, Marcus. You feeling okay?" I just sighed and said, "I've seen better days, Mr. Wells." He nodded and said as he fixed his glasses, "I could agree with you there." We were silent before I said, "I wanna go home." Mr. Wells said, "Yes, your mother said she was coming to get you." He sighed and said, "I fear it may be more than just this..."

I felt scared after he said that, fearing the worst. After about half an hour passed of awkward conversation with the teacher, my mother came in, looking like she had been crying for hours. I shot out of the bed and asked, "Mom, what is it?!" She sniffled and said, "Sweety, your father... he got hit by a truck... he's dead..." Tears ran down my face as I hugged my mother, who also began to cry again.

A few months later, my mother had contracted the Sirens Disease. The disease is a complete mystery even to the smartest of minds and it's the only disease left that they haven't cured. The disease just comes and kills. And that's just what it did to my mother, it killed her. I was put in an orphanage until I was 29, when I finished middle school. I got my own place in Finn; a one bedroom apartment with a living room and kitchen and one bathroom with a shower, sink, and toilet. And here I am now, on my way to find a job.