Chapter 3

Unlocking his apartment door, Marcus went inside, closing and locking the door behind himself. He took off his sunglasses, setting them on a table by the couch in the living room. Then, he went to his room and took off his beanie, setting it on his dresser. Finally, he took off his shirt and threw it in his dirty clothes hamper. Marcus sighed with relief as he rubbed his face. Then, he took out the bun in his hair and let his hair down. Marcus' hair is down to his hips when let down.

Marcus then went to watch tv. He sat down on his couch and turned on the tv, changing it to a station he'd found interesting. After a few hours of that, Marcus' phone began to ring. Marcus pulled it out of his pocket and answered, "Hello?" A man said, "Is this Marcus?" Marcus said, "Yes, this is he. Who's this?" The man on the other end said, "Mark, its Mr. Flame!" Marcus smiled slightly and said, "Well, I'll be damned. I haven't heard from you since mom..." Mr. Flame said, "Please, kid. Let's not dwell on the past."

"I wanted to know if you wanted to come to a competition for my child." Marcus chuckled and said, "You had a kid? With Laine?" Then, the line suddenly got quiet. Marcus asked nervously, "Hey, what's up?" Mr. Flame said, "She'd died after Ignis was born. She was so sick and she was scared she would die before she could have a kid. She wanted a kid so bad. I couldn't tell her no. And before I knew it, I let her slip out of my arms and Ignis slipped right into her place..." Marcus gulped and said, "Wow... Deep..."

Mr. Flame said, "So, would you like to come?" Marcus said, "Of course. I don't have a car though so... I need a ride." Mr. Flame said, "Yeah, I'll give you one. Just give me your address." Marcus said, "I live in an apartment but I'll just stand outside. Here's the address:" Marcus said the address of his apartment building and Mr. Flame said, "Alright, I'm on my way. Be ready." Marcus said, "Gottcha! See ya soon." Then, Marcus hung up. He groaned and said, "Man, I don't wanna get dressed!"

He sighed and then turned off the tv, getting up. He went to his room and grabbed a grey tee shirt and threw it on. Then, he grabbed his beanie and slipped it on. Marcus went back to the living room and grabbed his shades, slipping them on and then walking out the door. He locked the door and then left the complex. Marcus stood in the parking lot of his apartment building, right on the sidewalk. Soon, a red car pulled up and Marcus recognized it instantly. Marcus walked up to the car as it stopped and the driver's window rolled down.

Marcus said, "Mr. Flame! Good to see ya again." Mr. Flame said, "Good to see you, too, kid." Marcus said, "I ain't no kid no more, old man." Mr. Flame said, "Don't push it." Then, he chuckled. Marcus chuckled as well and said, "Gottcha." Then, he got in the passenger's seat and looked at the back seat, seeing no one. Mr. Flame began to drive to wherever this competition was being held. Marcus asked, "Hey, uh, where's the kid?" Mr. Flame said, "Oh! I had to drop him off there early, so we're going to meet him there."

Marcus nodded and turned to face the front. Then, he began to look out the side window of the car, thinking, "I wonder what this kid's like... Well, I'm sure if they're from Mr. Flame and Laine, they're probably a nice kid." Marcus asked, "What kinda competition is this?" Mr. Flame said, "A singing one. It's at Wellings Middle School." Marcus asked, "So, you're kid's in middle school?" Mr. Flame nodded and said, "Yup. In fact, he's about 6 years younger than you, Mark." Marcus chuckled and said, "Huh, crazy."