Chapter 5

18 years later.

Marcus sat on his couch, watching the news. Nothing especially interesting had happened all week and Marcus was getting bored. Last week, a noob had cut the hair off of a Memph's tail and the thing went ramped. Of course, the poor kid got fired but it kept the place lively for a while with everyone talking about it and making jokes. But, come Monday, the facility was back to the same old same old boring work. Normally, nothing exciting ever happened at the facility but when something did, Marcus didn't want the excitement to go away.

But, it always did and Marcus hated it. It reminded him of how boring his work place really was. Marcus had just finished work for the day and it was Wednesday. He usually worked from 6 am to 2 pm, giving him plenty of time to do stuff with the remainder of the day. The problem, though, was that he had nothing to do. No friends near by to hang out with (literally, his only friend is Rencei but not if you count Mr. Flame), no particular place to go hang out at (not like he'd want to anyway), and nothing to do at home but watch tv.

Marcus reached for the remote, deciding to turn off the tv and turn in earlier for the day; the time being 6:37 pm. But, suddenly, a reporter came on, saying, "Ladies and gentlemen! The rulers of Gangel, Terrence, Gladys, and Harriet, have finally announced the coming of this half-decade's Siren's Sing Off!" Marcus froze in his movement for the remote, sitting back on the couch and listening. The reporter continued, "It will be held in Gangel, as always, this December! Competitors can sign up with coming September!" That was a ways away, it currently being February.

The lady blabbed on about some other things that weren't important before ending, "Hope anyone who might be thinking about signing up is practicing for the coming tournament!" Marcus chuckled halfheartedly before turning off the tv and going to his room. He took off his uniform shirt and his jeans, towing them in the hamper. He had left his shoes at the door, leaving his socks on. Marcus jumped onto his bed in nothing but his underwear and socks, having took off his beanie, shades, and hair already. Then, Marcus suddenly sat up and said, "Oh! I almost forgot!"

Then, he grabbed a pair of scissors off his nightstand by his bed and snipped a strand of the bandaging around his torso and arm. Marcus then began to peel the bandaging off slowly. When he finally got it all off, he tossed it to the floor, muttering, "I'll throw it away in the morning..." Marcus inspected his body for any signs that he may have wrapped it too tight and might've hurt himself. His Signs began to glow dimly blue, Marcus not seeing anything out of the ordinary. He laid down and fell asleep.

(Signs are kinda like tattoos on Sirens except they can't just be put there. Signs begin to form on the Siren body around the age of 23 / beginning of 7th grade and finish forming at 26 / beginning of 8th grade. After they're finished forming, Signs tend to glow dimly but not enough to show through clothing. They are shaped randomly, kinda resembling tribal symbols, and they are the color corresponding to what type of Siren they are. Signs also tend to glow brighter when Sirens are using their powers.)