Chapter 1- The Hat.

Today was the day. Your dad had actually taken off work to escort you and your mother to platform 9 3/4. This suprised you a little, but you were happy to see him before you left. "That's my little ravenclaw," he sang.

The train station was bussling with noise and muggles. It was easy to pick out the magic folk against the plain crowd. Though no one else seemed to notice. Walking fast towards your platform you didn't have much time to really take a good look around. People, people, wizard family, more people. It never ended it seemed.

"It's getting close my little one," your mothers soft vanilla voice broke the air around you. She always made you feel safe, and accepted. If it wasn't for her, you'd be rushing in to Hogwarts blind.

Finally reaching the very solid looking brick wall between platforms nine and ten. Your father gave you a tight squeeze and told you he had to leave now. A little sadness misting up inside you, but you understood. He left, leaving you and your mother. Your mum explained to you what to do, then you both ran through the wall turning it to fog momentarily.

Now everywhere was filled with witches and wizards, all sending their kids off to Hogwarts. "Do you have your ferret?" "Yes mum, I do." You held up the cage containing Garth. "Good, now off you go my sweet. Have fun and do your work, don't get into trouble and respect your professors!" "Yes mother, I will."

She pulled you into one last hug and pushed you towards the train. All your luggage was loaded up with you and the doors shut behind you. You waved to your mother out of the window and blew a kiss.

All the children were settled and the train whistled impatiently. You chose a seat in an empty slot, set all your stuff down and retrieved a book. Finally settled, the train began to chug away. Leaving all the mum's and dad's behind. You wave one last time then lay down and uncaged Garth.

Soon enough the scenery had changed to hills, trees, and loads of green grass. It was very serene and topped off with glowing blue water in the distance. You burried your nose in your book when heard a knock at the sliding door.

It was an older woman, who was well in her seventies, with a trolly of sweets behind her. You jumped up and got some candy, a few chocolate frogs, some berty botts every flavour beans, and some pumkin pasties. She lugged away the trolly leaving you to your sweets. Barely a dent was put in your money.

Now content with your sweets, you enjoyed the silence and happily munched away. Silence. You fancied being alone, your whole childhood had been that way so far. Except for Garth of course. You valued the silence.

Outside it grew close to sunset. Firey oranges and melting reds danced across the sky. Painting a master piece more beautiful than a feild of raging flowers of color. You were intrigued by the little things that most people seemed to pass up. This combined with heavy studdying taught you how to look at everything closely. Especially people.

You formed a habit of silent judging and understanding things. It made everything a bit easier, like how someone would react to something, or what would happen if a certain action were to take place. More devious than your parents know.

The train arrived at its destination. By now it was completely dark, the only light came from the prefect's lamps and the occasional lamp post down the street. A big giant fury man stood at the front of all the first years, his voice booming across the tops of everyone's heads. We followed him to some boats resting along the shore of a big lake.

All of us boarded the boats in groups of four, following the hairy man still. It didn't take but fifteen minutes to get to the other side. In the boat with me were three other boys, a blonde kid with his two friends that acted like his henchmen...

We all jumped out of the boats and climbed the stairs up and up and up. All of us eventually gathered before a huge door, which when opened, stood a woman. A bit old, but an had a stern look across her face. We made our way inside. Fire from candles danced along in the air, all of us wearing plain black robes.

She lead us to another enormous door, gave a few instructions and lead us all behind it. I was informed it was the great hall, it was lined with many tables along both sides of the room. With just enough space in the middle for all of us. Infront of the room was a long table decorated with what I pressumed to be the professors, infront of them, was a golden owl stand, and lastly infront of that, a chair. More like a stool.

It was plain, yet it beckoned our names to soon be called, and our hearts to be placed in a permanent house. This was the moment I had been waiting for, the moment my parents had been waiting for. Sometimes I think they were more excited than me.

The woman assumed her place next to the chair, she held a long list of all our names. After a brief speach, she began to call them one by one. It seemed like it took ages to get to my name. But finally. My time came.

"(Y/N) (L/N)." The sound of my name echoed through the giant room. I made my way through the remaining crowd and up to the chair. I sat down nervously and she placed the hat on my head. It was a big hat, old looking and terrible smelling.

It spoke, I jumped a little inside. At first he spoke aloud, about my family and such, then quietly to me. I let my thoughts roam as the hat spoke. He was ready to make a decision.

"Though, miss (L/N), your whole family has been ravenclaw, most of them anyway, you're different." His voice was rusty sounding and it had a funny wave to it. "I shall place you in... SLYTHERIN!"