Thirty-one

Vote + comment :)

* * * * * * * *

"Harder, Harry."

"That was hard, Cameron."

"You can do better then that."

Irritated by her constant pushing, I punch the glove covering her hand with as much strength as I can gather. A loud smack echoes around the gym and she steps back on an unsteady foot at the force. I smirk at her in triumph when she immediately pulls off the glove and shakes her hand, wincing as she does. Breathing heavily, I pull off my own gloves and tuck them under my arm while walking to my water bottle that was sitting against the wall.

"Alright, I felt that hit through the glove. I'll give you that."

Swallowing down a large gulp of water, I look up with narrowed eyes to see Cameron wiggling her fingers. "Good. Now are we done for the day?"

"Why are you so eager to leave? You're head wasn't in it today. Is something wrong?"

No. Yes. No. I don't know. "No," I shake my head after a moment and purse my lips. "I mean, I don't think so."

She sips on her water and strands of her gray hair stick to the side of her face. Her eyebrow arches and she screws the cap of her water back into place. "That doesn't sound so convincing."

I grunt, tossing my water bottle back on the floor and shake my head. "Em has been acting kind of strange the past week, ever since we came back from visiting home."

"Strange how?"

"She's...jumpy." I state, licking my lips as I remember how she had been skittish lately, jumping any time a door slammed or there was a creak on the hardwood floors of her apartment. "She seems scared."

"Hm," Cameron muses, eyebrows pulling together while she leans against the wall in front of me. She crosses her arms and I almost laugh when I catch two of the other guys in the gym checking her out. If only they knew she didn't bat for their team. "Well did something happen to her back at home?"

Besides the fact her mum was a bitch and changed the locks to keep her own daughter out? "No, I don't think so. Nothing that should be making her jumpy at least." I mumble and she shrugs, reaching to pick up her gym bag and sling it over her shoulder. I do the same, running my fingers through my slightly damp hair. Man I needed to shower.

"'Maybe she's just going through stuff. Be patient with her, whatever it is I'm sure she'll tell you eventually."

"Yeah." I nod, thinking back on how she hadn't even told me about what happened with her mum until the next morning while we were eating breakfast. She had been fairly quiet from the moment we woke up but not once did I ask her what happened. She opened up and told me on her own, so maybe if something was really bugging her she would eventually tell me.

"Did you ever hear back from Louis?"

My thoughts shift from Em and to the text I had also received on Tuesday from Louis, relief flooding through me just as it had then. The confirmation that Zayn was in fact still locked up made my shoulders that had been tense since the day I asked instantly slumped. But then as quick as the relief had came, confusion replaced it. If it wasn't Zayn running into Em, then who was it? You're being paranoid. It could simply just have been a rude pedestrian. A stranger. No one that was out to get her. Yet something in my gut was telling me it was someone we knew...

Not wanting to dwell on it any longer, I shook the feeling off and pushed it to the back of my head. "Yeah." I finally say when I remember Cameron right beside me. We begin to head towards the exit of the gym. "He's still locked up."