Thirty-eight

Happy birthday to my love ❤️ he deserves all the happiness in the world ugh. Love him so much.

* * * * * * **

It was Tuesday night and I was currently sitting on the stool behind the counter in the bookstore, perching my chin atop my palm as I watched Caesar pull books out from their original place and sticking them back where they don't belong. My lips tugged up in amusement, finding the way he was doing it on purpose more humorous than annoying and I was just waiting for Barbra to catch him in the act like she had done several times through-out the day.

"He never quits, does he?" Harry says just as he approaches the front of the counter, shrugging on his leather jacket over his shoulders. It was half past seven and his shift had been over awhile already but I still had another hour and half left before I could leave.

"I think he likes annoying Barbra." I tell him and stifle a laugh when I see Caesar smirk to himself and stuff a book that belonged in the romance section, into the religious section.

"She's going to have a rightful heart attack finding that book next to the Christianity ones." Harry chuckles lowly. "It was that fifty shades one."

"Oh god." I laugh and turn my attention away from Caesar to put all my focus on Harry, leaning forward on my elbows as my eyes meet his. "You heading home now?"

"Mhmm," He hums and leans over the counter as well until his face is just inches away from mine, hand reaching up to tuck my hair behind my ear. "I'm going to stop by my flat and pack some clothes before I head back home tomorrow, then I'll meet you at yours when I finish."

"Okay."

He brushes his thumb over my jaw and tilts his head sideways, staring at me curiously. "Have you decided what you're going to do about Thanksgiving?"

I shrug, glancing down at the counter as I think over my options again for the millionth time. Yesterday I had listened to Lila try and coax me into spending it at her house while Harry sat idly by, quiet as he let Lila attempt to persuade me to go with her. He hadn't shown that he cared really if I went with Lila and while part of me liked that he wasn't pressuring me, it would be nice too if he showed that he really did want me to spend it with him.

"No, not really. I wouldn't mind going with Lila but I feel like I'm intruding. She has a huge family and I know she said it's perfectly cool with her parents but they've already done so much for me. Taking me in when I left my parents and then letting me stay in the apartment without paying rent? I don't want to take advantage of their kindness." I spoke my worries allowed, briefly looking past Harry's shoulder to greet a customer that just walked in before they head down towards the books.

Harry frowns at me and presses his lips together, his hand near my face dropping to clasp one of mine that was lying limp over the counter. "Well you can come with me?"

"You sure you want me to?" I arch an eyebrow at him and he pouts cutely, leaning forward until his mouth brushes mine. He doesn't kiss me when he seems to remember we're currently still at work, but lets his mouth hover near mine.

"Of course, I want you to come with me. Why wouldn't I? My mum really likes you and I know Gem wants to meet you, too."

"Gem?" I ask confusedly and he nods.

"My sister, Gemma. She's flying over from London to spend it with us. I haven't seen her in years so it'll be nice."

"She wants to meet me?"

"Yes, I've told her about you." He mumbles and squeezes my hand. "She knows about what happened a few months ago, well sort of." He says more quietly and pauses to glance over his shoulder to make sure no one was listening. "The only people who know the full truth apart from us is Louis, Caesar, and my mum. And I only confessed to her because I felt like bloody scum and she was beyond disappointed with me. Gem tends to be harder on me than my mum sometimes is so after we managed to patch things up with us, she advised me not to tell Gem the truth."