Chapter 9

The Morning of Krystal's Birthday Recap...

"I may be your... MATE.."

He said it as if it was the most revolting word on earth and had a sour taste in his mouth.

"..But I will never love you. You ruined me. Once I find a way to get rid of the mate bond painlessly for me, I will make it my personal duty to make your life hell. "

Even more than it already was?

He then left the room.

Axel was so frustrated. 

How could SHE be his mate?

In his eyes, she was weak. But he was weaker for always threatening to end her yet never doing it.

If he did, he thought his parents' death would be in vain. And he could never allow that. 

All those beatings are for her own good after all.

What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right?

At least that's what my mother told me... It's just discipline after all.

Though he left the room, Krystal was still on his mind. He felt her presence even when she wasn't present. 

And she never left his mind.

Should he apologize for what he said and try to make this work? After all, he may never get another chance... Would he really risk the possibility of having a soul mate for the hope that the moon goddess  would give him another one?  

No.

He knew it was too risky.

UGH. It was so frustrating that he had to go back and apologize to someone he's despised for most of his life. 

Anger still courses through Axel as he enters his office and slams the door.

He runs his fingers through his hair and lets out a deep exhale. He sits this way for a couple minutes before he hears his own door open.

"Hey dude what's up"

He looks up after hearing the entrance, grateful that someone came to distract him from his thoughts.

"You don't look too good mate."

"Funny you should say that word--- mate."

"Wh- wait what?! You found your mate? Congrats bro! I'm rooting for you."

"Yea thanks but.... it's complicated."

"You forget that I was your friend first before I was your beta. You can trust me. Tell me what's up."

Axel feeling reluctant to tell him and tries to change the topic.

"How about the Morelle pack? Give me the details on them. Are they still threatening to attack? What are the proposals for the battle plan?

"Hey hey hey look. Nothing to worry about. We haven't received word from them in about 2 weeks. We have armed werewolves at the borderlines our pack ready to give us notice if they see anything suspicious. Heck, they even have wolfsbane laced bullets. I personally saw through to that."

Axel's face looks less stressed as his beta, Jake, tells him this news. The frown on his face slowly becomes undone.

"Like I said. Nothing to worry about. Now tell me what's going on with your mate."

"It's Krystal."

"Like I said you can tru- wait whom?"

Jake began to lean forward in his chair waiting to hear Axel's response once again for verification.