Chapter 12

"Alpha... we have a problem."

Hearing the address of "Alpha" from his best friend, Axel knew it was serious. 

"We're bordering on war with the infamous Voyer rogue pack."

Axel stifled a chuckle. It still amazed him of how there could be a rogue 'pack'. They had no leader. No alpha. How could they possibly commandeer a pack that way? It was certainly a surprise that they hadn't been taken down yet. Not to mention that they had a winning streak of winning every attack they've ever engaged in. They would lose if they ever dared to cross his borders. Yet still, their winning streak means possible foul play and he needed to make sure that his pack was kept safe. 

"Bordering on war? What do you mean?"

"They're threatening attack and they're not letting up."

"Did they give any o-other details?  Like-"

Axel gulped before carrying on. He need to piece is words together. He never used to stumble or stutter over his words before. 

"What do they want?"

"Axel.... they want you."

Axel stifled another laugh before continuing.

"Don't tell me they-"

"They want you to surrender."

Jake looked at his friend cautiously as sat up straight. His eyes bore straight into Axel's and he had a stern look. Axel didn't seem to be taking this seriously. Even though it was his pack, Jake wouldn't let it go to shreds because Axel's mind was elsewhere. After all, it was his pack too.

He paused for a moment then continued. 

"Axel, they want revenge on what you di-

"So we'll get reinforcements. Backup. We'll kill them before they-

"Alpha..."

Jake rubbed his hands over his face in frustration. 

"This is what got you into this mess in the first place."

Axel's smirk was wiped off his face as he glared back at Jake.

He promised he would keep that a secret.

Jake knew he was slowly crossing the line but he kept pressing on.

"You knew this was going to catch up with you right? You keep projecting your anger from your past onto other packs.... onto other people. This-

"THAT'S ENOUGH."

Axel had it with Jake. He rushed over to him and held him up by his collar. Rage burned in his eyes. Pain was written upon his forehead as he scrunched them together. His eyes darted from one eye to the other looking for fear. Anything that would indicate respect, but lo and behold-- there was not a hint of it. 

Axel was already dealing with his own guilt from almost killing his mate. He didn't need this additional weight on him. Especially from his best friend.

"THINK, BRO!" Jake screamed in his face.

Axel set him down and began to walk back where he was sitting. He didn't want to hear another word, but all that he could do was listen.

"We'll do all we can to protect you. After all you're our alpha. But if push comes to shove, I just want to know if you will be willing to sacrifice yourself for the p-"

"It WON'T get to that point!

It won't ..

It won't...