Chapter 2

(*continuation of flashback*)

There was a swarm of rogues inside. She was at a loss of words.

She stole a glance outside to see that most of the rogues were gone. Most likely because they were in this house...

She also saw that the Alpha and Luna were heading inside because they assumed that the war had been won....

Till Krystal let out an ear-piercing scream to alert them. They quickly ran inside and so did the remaining pack warriors, and they paused for a split second to observe the amount of rogues, then pounced upon them. She was frozen in fear, and no matter how much she wanted to move..

She COULDN'T. She was too rattled at the thought that this was her fault again! She had just wanted to help...

Her brain was telling her to move but her feet weren't moving. She could literally hear her heart beating rapidly, She was no longer confident in the outcome of this situation.

A rogue lunged for Krystal, one that she had not seen, but Luna Maria pushed her out of the way and it sliced her throat. She fell on the floor as her body went limp. Tears were now dripping from Krystal's face at the scene. She was still frozen in place and couldn't move.

The Alpha looked at the scene with a sorrowful face and by the look in his eyes Krystal could tell that he was in deep sorrow.

He seemed stricken with instant grief.

He stopped fighting.
It was as if there was nothing to live for.
Maybe if he hadn't caught a glimpse of her body, only the pain of his heart would ache from the mate bond, rather than his soul from watching hers leave her body.

That gave a rogue the perfect opportunity to use its claws to slice his head clean off. More tears were streaming down Krystal's face that she didn't even recognize that at this very moment the rogue that had killed the Alpha was killed by other pack warriors.

She was too focused on what had just happened.

At the corner of her eyes, she saw Axel fuming with anger. His eyes shifted from his parents to her . At first his eyes were sorrowful then they fumed with anger.

"You worthless piece of sh*t! YOU'RE A MONSTER! YOU'RE THE ONE TO BLAME!!"

"I-I co-tri-ed. But I-I mo-o. no. B-but I didn't kill the-"

"YES YOU DID!"

He then kicked her hard in the stomach and she flew to the wall. All that was heard was a sickening crack.

Krystal had never felt pain like this before. It was excruciating. No amount of oxygen could fulfill her lung's desires. Black spots dominated her vision and fear engulfed her heart.

She didn't know whether or not she was going to see tomorrow but at the very least she didn't want to die...

She would try to hold on for mommy's sake, for daddy sake. Despite their own offspring opposing that wish.

She looked up at him wondering of how he could act this way when he was just 13 years old.

" I will always hate you."
And then she blacked out and her eyes rolled to the back of her head.

***

Krystal has been hated ever since then.

She knitted her brows further in frustration as she thought of a reason as to why Axel still decided to team up with the pack warriors to protect her.

Why didn't he just let her die? Didn't he hate her? He never lets her forget that, so why did he save her anyway?

She shooed away the thought, fearing that thinking about it for too long would only make her more depressed.
She'd sink into a never-ending quicksand and it's grains would never be free from her mind. They would be etched in her head and would sting as though actual grains of sand stung her eyes and embedded into her retinas.

She had to think happier thoughts. Poetry usually calms her down but in this moment no good rhymes came to her mind. Maybe music would help.
She tried to think of a song that would help ease the pain.

"I'll be there...
At the yellow creek's turn..
Look for me
And you will learn..."

What an unusual song. She couldn't remember where she had heard it from.
The melody in her through sounded guttural and unpleasant. She chuckled a bit to herself at her attempt. She stopped singing almost instantly, not wanting to hear herself massacre the tune.

Her only positive thought was that she would find her mate. And he would help her realize her worth and value as a member of the pack.

"Hopefully he won't reject me or treat me as if I am a wretched piece of trash. It may be true but I don't want him to know that. I need to keep surviving for his sake. He'll help me escape from here. I-I just know it." She thought in her head.

Krystal didn't dare think of what would happen had her mate not loved her. She wanted to hold onto the slightest bit of hope that she would be loved. That she could be loved by someone else.

She knew that if she didn't find any other outlet for her pain the scars that she already made on her skin would multiply.

Her tears would create a bucket list and have a goal to create a river. One that not even her mate could hold back with the dam of his words.

"I hope it doesn't turn out this way. I hope my mate... will be my way out."

And she stayed on the floor.

At this point, the coldness of it was giving her more comfort than any were-being had or possibly ever would...