19. Fights & Final Calls

Original Stats:
716 Views. 21 Votes. 0 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Fights and Final Calls

━━━━━━━━━

Austin threw himself onto the couch as his mother closed the door calmly before joining her husband and son in the living room. She glanced around, the disgust of the place evident on her face as she noticed the various wrappers and pizza boxes laying around in just the living room alone. She shook her head as she turned her attention back to the matter at hand. Cleaning could wait.

"We've been gone far too long." She started as she walked back and forth in front of the tv sitting at the corner of the living room. Austin felt his heart begin to beat faster at the mention of them staying... For the rest of the school year. He could tell it by his mother's voice that she didn't like the way he had been living.

"No you haven't-"

"You said you had things under control. Do things, look, under control? Your grades are far below even passing, you have been to the office twice this last week already, and, the house, is a mess!" His mother yelled. Austin cringed slightly as her voice continued to raise. He had never liked it when his mother yelled at him. His father simply sat back on the recliner next to where his mother was pacing, letting her get her emotions out before stepping in.

"I know what this looks like." Austin tried, knowing himself that she was far from done. She was much like a lawyer in that sense. She had every fact in her pocket and was ready to throw it up into his face.

"Do you? Because what it looks like to me, is you are not going to graduate. That looks pretty bad to me." She yelled. Austin sighed as he stood up, wanting to face his mother head on, this time. He was eighteen now, he should have gained some of these rights with that. Not that they were here for his birthday.

"Maybe I won't need to graduate." Austin started, trying to ease her into the idea once more of him becoming famous. At this comment, he had even thrown his father for a loop.

"What?" Mike asked his son, wondering just what he had planned this time.

"When I become famous-"

"Not this again. I thought that you were done with that in middle school. Singing is not a career. Taking over the mattress kingdom is, though. Which, you will need at least a high school degree to run." His mother ranted as she let her hand cover her forehead. She was sure that Austin had given up that laughable dream years before. She thought they had placed him on the right path when they had left two months ago for the USA Mattress Contention. But no, Austin was still the same boy they had left behind.

"Mom, music is a career! And with Ally as my songwriter-"

"You've roped that poor girl into this as well? What are you thinking? And you must have Dez back on board with the whole film, director, thing too. What about that other girl? Tasha, was it?" His mother interrupted. Austin rolled his eyes at his mother's tries. She had no idea what she was talking about.

"Trish, mom. Her name is Trish. But that's not the point. Together, the four of us are going to make it. I finally have the people I need to get there." Austin pleaded, his case seeming less and less convincing the more and more he went on. Even he knew it may not happen in the end.

"You're right Austin, that wasn't the point. The point is, that you are going to graduate, with, or without, summer school. You are going to drop this whole, famous dream, and get real. Because out there, is a completely different world. Do you know his many people a year have to learn this the hard way? It would be better that you get that through your head now. I don't want to get a call two weeks from now hearing that you're out of money and living on the streets." His mother ordered. Austin felt his heart cracking at every word. His mother really had no faith in him. He thought for sure his parents would be behind him on this. This could not be going any worse though. He had really lost his parents for good this time.