Puck those stealers

Chapter 1- Puck those stealers

"Money doesn't grow on trees."

Kaylee's perspective

My heart beat pounded treacherously. I clutched my hands together, as they began to shake. My breathing began to sharpen.

Breath Kaylee, breathe.

Mum sat on the French recliner, her posture was slouched as she extended her hand to get her steaming cup of tea. My mum was beautiful; she had a tall, willowy figure. She had dark coiled brown hair that almost reached her tiny waist. Her eyes were gorgeous - light green and light beige with a dark brown iris.

Two years ago she applied to be a designer, constructing specialist outfits for Prada. Yes, such a respected company - but she got through the trails and tribulations. They flicked through her sketchbook she created for four years at the University of Art. My Mother - Regina - was a high performing student, her work was exceptionally imaginative and out of the ordinary. Her styles ranged from boho to retro, her latest client being a general's wife from the far North East.

It was hard - we had to move from Quebec, to Manchester, to London - but I was only ten and a ten year olds feelings don't matter. My mum is now a qualified fashion designer and a directing executive. In all my eighteen years I have never seen her so upset.

I sat down on the cream sofa quickly. Her eyes were engorged and inflamed. Her lips quavered- she looked a mess. I placed my hands on my knees as I watched her sip her tea silently. After minutes of nothingness, she acknowledged my presence and looked at me, her usual sparkling eyes dull and glazed.

"Sweetie. Your dad and I haven't realised, but something really bad has happened, and we need to come to a very good solution." She looked me dead in the eye,

"Are we moving back to Manchester?" I trembled. Manchester was definitely horrible! We lived in a new penthouse suite, the pipes had burst and in soaked our carpet and stunk so bad. We decided we didn't like the North scene as much. Mum let out a dry laugh,

"No sweetie, that's not the case. It's just...I don't know how to say this..." She murmured, breaking eye contact. A sigh of relief washed over me, at least we weren't going back up to 'Hell' again.

"Mum", I said somewhat tiredly, "what is it?"

Mum looked down, okay, this must be serious. Maybe one of her outfits wasn't a success, or she accidently sewed the neck of a tee-shirt. Or, she could have been...

"Mum, did you get sacked?"

Mum looked at me - astonished. Her fingers tapped against the arm of her mug nervously,

"Well, it's not my job that's the problem..."

"Is it Dad?" I questioned quickly, this is not good.

Not good at all. Dad was the CEO for Rent a Ride, a well established car hiring company here. They are a franchise business, and have many branches around the world. His business firm is quite proffesional. He was an ordinary car salesman at first, working his way up the ladder to become chief executive. He would work over 12 hours everyday and I hardly saw him, either cooped up in his office or out for work.

The previous boss, Anthony Garcia, recognised dad's raw talent of pitch hires, persuasion and leadership. He retired early, as dad says, and gave dad the biggest promotion he could dream of. He also exports cars to foreign princes, who pay up nicely.

Dad's job was twice the salary of mums and it was fine that way. We live in luxury- a huge mansion in the suburbs, with a garage of rare sports cars and maids who live here. I loved life because it benefited me in so many ways.

"Sweetie...well, you know the motoring company, Elite Enterprise?" She begins, her strained eyes beginning to water, I nodded.

Stop calling me Sweetie! Shut up Kaylee, now it's the time to be mature.

"Well, they ...did f-fraud on our bank a-account." She wailed, crying hysterically. I immediately went to her side to aid her. I hugged and traced my hand over her hair.

"It's only a few thousand...right?" I asked quietly.

She paused for a moment and slowly stood up. Her clothes were creased and she couldn't balance herself properly.

I was waiting for the, "Got ya", or "Just kidding!"- but I didn't get it.

"Sweetie." She whispered, clutching to my arm, "T-they stole a-all our M-money from your father and I's joint bank account."

I stared at her in shock, "What?"

My heart pounded unsteadily as the sickening words finally sank into my brain. The same bank account their entire life savings were.

"T-they took it Kaylee," She whimpered, clutching onto me tightly.

"A-all of it?" I thrifled small breaths of air, as I began to shake. My thoughts raced madly.

She nodded her head in response. I think I died. My life is so over.