Shattered dreams

Chapter 2- Shattered dreams

"Fail to plan, plan to fail."

I was shattered, mentally and physically.

Mother had decided to only tell me five days after the crime had taken place. That was probably why Mum and Dad were wondering around the house when I skipped class and ventured home. But they didn't know that, they didn't even know what I was studying. I don't think they even cared.

It seemed that their work was on a temporary hold, hiring a private investigator and getting their hands on a top lawyer. I forgot: they hadn't lost their jobs, so they could still work and I could still buy my expensive toys.

Dad demanded we should have a family meeting in his office, which I was surprised by. I had never been in there before, it was his 'private territory'.

I stomped down the marble flight of stairs lazily and turned left, drifting towards dad's office. In all honesty, I adore this mansion we live in. It's my hub, my own personal retreat. I can take great Instagram pictures here, especially in the swimming pool with my selection of bikinis.

It was spacious and airy, though empty most times. Five unused guest chambres, even the maid's had their own quarters.

The gym was definitely a perk though, how else would I get this killer body?

Personally, this house was the perfect place for hosting parties when the parentals were out on their work calls. Of course they had never caught me hosting one, I was their 'innocent child'.

Haha. Innocent my ass. If only they knew what I really get up to.

My thoughts drifted to a specific memory of my mum who caught me in a bad state, but I pushed it far away. She had caught a glimpse of the real me.

Sighing, I slowly opened the door and was amazed - it was nothing like I had imagined.

It was a huge dark space, covered in luxury burgundy and full of dark red Chesterfield sofas. In the centre was a grand wooden table with velvet chairs around it neatly. There were wooden bookshelves surrounding us in all directions, with chunky books neaty aligned.

Dad sat on the right hand side - with a large brown envelope - and mum sat on the other side.

I decided to sit next to mum. The room smelt strongly of tobacco, a bit sickening. So this is where dad works, dull and boring just like him.

"Kaylee." My dad spoke in his usual monotonous work tone. He looked horrid, we all did. His hair was all over the place and eyes bags were black. He has got my attention now.

"As we all know about the fraud, I can tell you, it's not going to be easy. There are going to be so many drastic changes for all of us. Now we aren't losing hope yet, because we have a solution." His lips moving up by a fraction. I looked at him in expectation:

"Remember last year, we set up an emergency account? Well, we still happen to have a quarter of a million pounds left, which is not much but it will pull us through this unexpected hardship."

I stared at him in suprise and mum puckered like a fish.

Dad cleared his throat, standing up and slowly walking towards the closed window, "remember we have bills, not forgetting the loans that need repaying."

He looked sombre, he sighed in what I thought was annoyance. I was nervous, I knew what was coming along. He was going to get rid of the maids.

Who was going to make me breakfast now? No more Avacado on portugese olive roll. No more cleaning up after my parties.

Pay day had passed already and we would have to wait for next month before expecting any income.

"We can invest in our stocks and shares, possibly. Still not enough though."

I sighed this time, this was depressing and I felt like crap. I didn't want to downgrade and live a normal, poor life. I wanted to be entitled and selfish because I could be.

This felt humiliating. I was going to get up, in defeat, when dad interrupted,

"Hold on Kaylee," His rushed voice echoed. I sat back down, playing with the hem of my dress. I particualrtly didn't like being the centre of attention when it came to family affairs, it was never good.

"Now, your college is the subject at hand - so we have made plans to change." He said, looking at me with a glint in his eyes.

I plastered a smile, though confused at his weird expression. "Thanks dad, I didn't want to go silly Cliffside, I think Harvard or Cambridge are way better choices for me."

My mother shrieked and stared at me like I had two heads, and dad let out a frustrated groan.

"Kaylee. You are not understanding the point. They're both expensive - we're sending you somewhere more affordable and suited to your current life choices."

"W- what?" I stammered. My heart began to beat very quickly.

Father let out another sigh, lifting his head, "this is very serious situation. Your mother and I have had a good and long conversation about your tendencies. We know about all your parties, sneaking out at night and coming back in the morning. Messing around with older men, this in unacceptable. We believe the place we have chose is best for you."

My eyes widened and I couldn't reply. So they had known,"where?" I managed to splutter.

"St. Nicholas'." Mum muttered, avoiding my eyes.

"I've never heard of that mum. It sounds alright I guess, but is it the opposite end of our side of London. Is it any good?" I wondered out loudly.

"Sweetie," My mother interrupted, "It's a special school, for young teenagers, who behave in your manner."

My mouth was hanging,

"What?!"

Before I could protest, dad shoved the brown envelope in my hand, "your acceptance letter."

For a moment, all I could hear was my heart beating. I was so angry. I stormed out the room with my envelope in my hand and ran to my bedroom, slamming the door shut and sliding onto the floor.

I buried my head in my hands, I was fuming. The audacity of them to do that to me, to betray me in the worst way. Knowing I would hate to live like that.

I gripped the envelope, which was already open might I add, eyes scanning the words,

St Nicholas is a specialist higher education centre, dealing with young teenagers of special requirements, whilst providing first class education.

I tore it to shreds and screeched.