10

AN: Content warning for this chapter, as it depicts an attempted assault. Please be mindful when engaging with this chapter.

|--| |--| |--|

"Hey Newt," ______ began, looking over at the man in front of her drinking coffee. This how they started their morning, ______ didn't work today, and the power didn't go out again today, so they got to sit down and have a proper breakfast. "Do you mind coming with me somewhere today?"

Newt looked over at her. "I don't mind," he answered. "Where would we be going?"  He thought it would be nice to get out of this place for a while. He still wasn't having any luck getting Pickett off of ______. He wouldn't tell her, but he even tried sneaking into her room to try to get him off her while she was sleeping, and Pickett still tried putting up a fight. It wasn't a total loss though, he got to see how cute ______ looked while she slept.

That wasn't a weird thought to have, right?

"I'm supposed to pick up my paycheck at the factory today, and I need to go shopping. It wouldn't be much, just some food, but I'd appreciate the help."

Newt sat up straighter when she mentioned the factory. He'd be lying if he tried to say he wasn't curious. Ever since she had come home with her hand cut open, he wanted to see this work place. She wanted to meet her boss – who just lets someone bleed and tell them to get back to work when they obviously need treatment? "Alright," Newt nodded. "When do you want to go?"

"After breakfast?" she asked. "If we get it done quickly, we can get back in time to make lunch."

Newt nodded and continued drinking his coffee. He thought what she usually had for breakfast was interesting: she called it coffee and cookies, but the cookies reminded him more of crackers. They weren't very sweet, and they didn't taste that good unless you dunked them into the coffee. It was a plain breakfast – nothing ______ owned was really fancy. It kind of made Newt want to take her out, maybe buy her dinner, get her something a little more than the plain food she had.

Kind of like a date.

Almost exactly like a date, Newt thought. The thought of him taking ______ brought a subconscious smile to his face, one he didn't know was there. He was snapped out of his daydreams when ______'s cup clinked onto the table, and he looked over at him. "I'm done, so I'm just going to change into something warmer and we can go."

"Alright," Newt nodded, looking away from her and drinking his coffee to finish it off. He stood up, taking her cup too, and put them in the sink. Sometimes he helped her out with chores so he didn't feel like he was just living and not helping, and whenever he did, he would use magic. Partly because it made thinks easier, and partly because ______ was always entranced by it. For now though, he just left the cups in the sink, saving them for later.

Newt heard ______'s voice from behind him. "Ready!" she called out, and Newt spun around. He immediately caught ______'s eyes, and he stood for a moment, lost in them. He always admired the ways her eyes shined, and today more than usual, they seemed so lit up. So happy, so bright. After a pause of Newt just looking at her, ______ spoke. "Newt?"

"Hm?" He hummed, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Are you ready?"

"Oh, sure," he told her, nodding. She smiled, pulling her coat closed all the way and heading out of her apartment. Heading out of the round door, they were out on the cold streets of New York.

"So, how far away do you work?" Newt asked, already cold. He started to button up his jacket, something he should've done earlier.

"Not far," she began "It's only about ten minutes away."