23

AN: Technically, it's 11:30 here, which still means it's the 23rd here. I still kept my promise! Yay! (The promise was more for myself, so... I guess I'm celebrating myself here? Good job, me).

Sorry if this chapter seems short or like filler, but as the final climax comes, the end is near my friends. I hope you're ready.

I'm sure not.

|--| |--| |--|

"What is going on here?"

A voice ______ didn't know, but Newt knew all too well, rang out across the office. The two of them turned around to see a man at the doorway, a long beard and dark, shrewd eyes. ______ could tell from the immediate panic on Newt's face that this was not one of the "kind professors" he talked about all the time.

Newt was so shocked, he didn't know what to do. If apparating was allowed in Hogwarts, the first thing he would be doing is grabbing ______ and getting out of there. He knew, however, that wouldn't work. They had been caught, and Newt had no idea what to do.

"Well, are you going to answer me?" as the headmaster narrowed his eyes, he realized that these weren't misbehaving students. In fact, they weren't students at all. One of them may have been wearing a Hufflepuff scarf, but it didn't fool him. They were too old to be students.

Then, he realized something else.

He recognized one of them.

As Newt tried to think of something to say, something to do, some way to react, the headmaster continued to speak. "Don't I know you?" he asked.

Newt averted his eyes. "Well, um, I think you might..." he stalled, trailing off. He didn't want to see the headmaster, much less have him recognize him. The headmaster didn't exactly like Newt, especially after the creature incident. Plus, if he got Newt's name, even if they escaped, he'd be able to report them.

There was no good way this could end.

The headmaster kept his eyes fixated on Newt. "You were a student here, weren't you? Did I expel you or something?"

"Uh, I don't think so," Newt told him, avoiding looking at him still.

The headmaster shook his head. "No matter, you have no business in here," the headmaster pulled out his wand, pointing it at them. "Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

Newt pulled out the first excuse he could think of, and sadly, it was a poor one. "Routine inspection," he told him. "I'm from the Ministry. Just making sure Hogwarts is still keeping up with everything during the holidays."

"Funny, I didn't get a letter of notice."

"Surprise inspection. That's what gives the best results," Newt continued. ______ stayed silent, completely unsure what to say or do. The scenario seemed so unreal, she had no idea how to react. She had no idea what she was supposed to do.

The headmaster wasn't buying anything. Instead, he narrowed his eyes at Newt, becoming more and more suspicious. "May I see your credentials?" he asked. "Surely if you're from the Ministry, you must have some."

"Oh, right," Newt said, reaching for his pockets. Luckily, he did have a wallet in his jacket. As long as the headmaster didn't look to closely at it (considering it does say Beast Division on it), Newt thought that there might actually be a way. That they might actually get away with it.

He thought too soon, and he acted too quick. He didn't even pay attention to what he was doing.

He turned around, facing ______. "I need my coat," he whispered to her. "It has my wallet in it."